Blank space…. Need all the suggestions…

ChellesChickens

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Okay so this is about a 10 x 10 space, don’t worry, we aren’t done. We need to finish cleaning, sealing, painting, cutting in vents.. allllll the things…. BUT where would you put the roost? How tall up? I’m thinking 2 ft and 4ft? But then the hubs wants the nesting boxes 2 feet up (yes they’ll have ramps up to these), but then won’t they want to sleep IN the nesting boxes…. Sorry for ALL the questions…. He’s wanting answers and I’m stumped 😂🤣🤪

Also we will be using 2 x 4’s for their roosting poles (used previously and loved it) but do y’all paint them? How do you scrape any poops off if you do paint them? We had an old coop, sadly had to regime all of our chicks to family because we lived and couldn’t get things ready in time. So we are starting over!
4661C942-2C40-4306-ACDE-9FC67712E3B0.jpeg
ACACA4D6-1DA8-4CD8-A903-30F60081081D.jpeg

A higher roost is convenient for lifting a chicken up at night time (they're much easier to handle in the dark) but you'll need a safe way for them to get up and down every day. Maybe steps made from bales of hay or from old tree stumps, or a wide duck ramp if it's not steep.

If the roost is higher than the nests, they will be more inclined to sleep up there. They'll sleep where they feel safest and high up is usually preferred.

A higher roost is convenient for lifting a chicken up at night time (they're much easier to handle in the dark) but you'll need a safe way for them to get up and down every day. Maybe steps made from bales of hay or from old tree stumps, or a wide duck ramp if it's not steep.

If the roost is higher than the nests, they will be more inclined to sleep up there. They'll sleep where they feel safest and high up is usually preferred.
Yes, we will have ramps. I was thinking 3.5 and 5 feet for roosts… and putting the nesting boxes at 2 feet….

No it’s painted plywood, we still have a lot left to do, but just needed ideas on layouts and stuff. Located in Oklahoma.
Not familiar with the weather you experience, but the main issue I'm seeing is lack of ventilation.
Ventilation should be 1sqf per bird, above their heads when on roost. Ventilation is important in evi climate weather is hot or cold.

First thing I'd add is more ventilation.

Then, assuming you aren't going for human convenient height nest boxes, I'd set them about 12" above the ground. With storage underneath. Nesting bars I'd stagger as a horizontal ladder - 18", 21", 24" off the ground as needed. Again, no ladder required.

I'd also add tall plastic moulding at the base of the walls in an effort to keep moisture from wicking - likely the roll stuff used in industrial/hospital/school building settings. Then I'd lay cheap vinyl on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom