1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bleach in mud puddles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DaniLovesChickens, Feb 17, 2011.

  1. DaniLovesChickens

    DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

    170
    4
    101
    Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I know you can put a small amount of bleach in your chickens drinking water, so could I put bleach in the mud puddles that have formed right behind the coop with this thaw we're in?

    I just hate to think of all of the "stuff" that's in those puddles and I can't keep them from drinking out of them.

    So what do you think? [​IMG] How much?
     
  2. terrilhb

    terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Why would you put bleach in the chickens waterer? I have never heard this. Thanks ahead of time.
     
  3. ChickensAreSweet

    ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

    No- bleach is very dangerous to chickens. You might have a concentrated zone of bleach and damage the internal parts of your chickies.

    It is natural for them to drink out of mud puddles some- mine do it and never get sick. Even the puddles from just hosing out the coops (with lots of poo in them). [​IMG]
     
  4. classicsredone

    classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

    967
    5
    121
    Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Bleach in the mud puddles would kill any beneficials in the soil, too. That could make room for the icky bugs to take over in the pen, causing problems.
     
  5. gritsar

    gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

    28,907
    113
    408
    Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Think of it this way - drinking out of the mud puddles innoculates your chickens against germs. Works for me. [​IMG]
     
  6. deerman

    deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

    9,491
    29
    293
    Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Wow all these warning about bleach.........yes it will kill the germs.........like all wells need bleach once a year. Surejust like all city water.


    Plus a little bleach in the mud puddle ,will keep those bloodsucking insects from breeding........
     
  7. xyresicchick

    xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

    732
    1
    133
    Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    bleach is toxic to chickens. better to use apple cider vinegar.... don't you think?
     
  8. annaraven

    annaraven Born this way

    Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:The problem I see is knowing the volume of water in the puddle in order to get the right concentration of chlorine. Too little is a waste and too much will kill the birds. People who do city water have a pretty good idea of how much water they're treating and spend a fair amount of resource to make sure the concentration isn't too high. Same with wells - you have to know how much standing water is in there to know how much is okay to put in. Wells that are treated with chlorine also need to be flushed afterwards before you use the water. And they are careful to say that the water should not be allowed to run off to the streams, ponds or lakes.

    I would recommend avoiding it. There are other ways of dealing with mosquito larvae (like BTi). As for the other "stuff" in the puddles, I wouldn't worry about it.
     
  9. Chris09

    Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

    11,005
    419
    328
    Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    City water and community wells contain chlorine, in fact most people that have well shock there well with chlorine. [​IMG]

    Chris
     
  10. WoodlandWoman

    WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

    5,719
    42
    283
    May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I guess it depends on where you live. It's not common to routinely put bleach in home wells in our area. We get our well water tested for various things every few years and have never had a problem with it. It must just depend on where you live and the terrain, plus the type of soil, groundwater and well structures you have. I didn't realize that in some areas, homeowners bleach their wells annually.

    Bleach is a toxic substance. That's why it works as a disinfectant. Too little is ineffective and too much can kill you. Or the chickens. That's the reason people are talking about proper dosing being an issue. Pesticides are the same way. They can kill you, your chickens or your pets, if you use too much.

    I've never worried about the quality of puddles, but I don't have any right next to the run, where it could have more contamination by manure. If you have some low spots right where the run is draining, maybe think about adding a little soil there, to bring the level up to the surrounding ground. It probably wouldn't take much and then you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. You might only need a bucket of dirt and a hand trowel to add a bit of dirt. If it's a larger area, a shovel and a garden rake can help. Over the years, I've done a little re-contouring in the yard here and there, to help with the spring run-off and puddles, from melting snow.

    In general, I'm more protective of what I expose young chicks to and less protective for healthy adult chickens with healthy immune systems. When you free range, they get exposed to a lot.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by