Bleach in ponds?

Myra

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
WOuld it be okay if I dumped a cup of bleach once a week into the duck's swimming water? I have a oval shaped "tub" from Tractor's Supply with a drain that I clean out once a week but it still is getting "green" water in between?

Thanks,
Myra

I was wondering the same thing about vinegar, if that would help at all and possibly be a little more mild for them.

Quote:
You do know that ducks usually drink from their swimming water? Since you don't mention the gallonage of the tub there is no way I could state if it is safe or not, The other question unasked is would the bleach be effective against the water turning green. I suspect that it would NOT be effective and that is based on my own experience. How do you feel about the feather condition of your birds? would you mind faded colors, raggy feathers, and lack of waterproofing? I think you can see where I am going, I am not going to tell you it is safe or unsafe. I will tell you what I have tried and the results.
I would drain my pond, mix a cup of bleach with a gallon of water and scrub this mixture on the sides and bottom. Allow at least 10 minutes for the bleach to do what it can. With the drain open I would use a nozzle to wash down the sides and bottom of the tub. Close drain and allow the tub to fill. Would look good for about two days. Added a shade to keep the sun off the water. the green stuff needs light to grow. Good for about 4 days total. Frankly by this time the duck poop in the water is causing it to stink so I would end up draining and cleaning again. Best found to date is adding duckweed (that floating weed with leaves about 1/8 inch across) to the tank the second day. shades the top of the water and grows fast using the poop as fertiliizer. the water itself doesn't turn green but would see green 'hair' growing from the sides and bottom. sooner or later the smell gets to you and yo have to clean again.
Other suggestion check with garden store for pond additions, if safe for fish probably safe for waterfowl. Good Luck!

Thanks - that's the info I needed. I didn't want to harm my ducks at all! And if the green is safe for them to drink during the weekday then I can live with that!

Myra

Air will kill the algae too. It is good practice to empty out in the evening and refill in the morning. We are not using stock tanks for our ducks, because it takes to long to refill them. Instead we are using kiddie pools with a shower drain in it and a discharge ball valve on the side. No more lifting of the pool and it fills in no time.
Katharina

Quote:
Have you ever seen what ducks will drink in the wild? Fresh drinking water, put a bucket in the pond (small so they can't swim in it) and add fresh daily with the overflow going into the pond that helps a little with the swim water.

We use Apple Cider Vinegar in our ducks water, both drinking AND their pool.
ACV is full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements. It helps to lower the pH level in the stomach, helping digestion and making it a less friendly for harmful pathogens. ACV detoxifies the blood and helps remove mucous from within the body, this is particularly useful since chickens/ducks are particularly prone to respiratory problems and ACV can be of benefit in helping birds to clear their airways.

Due to the acid content of ACV, it is an antiseptic. As well as killing germs, it is also a mild antibiotic as well, (that is, it contains bacteria that destroy infectious organisms).

It also changes the PH in the pool water, and keeps algae from growing like crazy. I LOVE it.

FYI though, you have to get the raw, unfiltered kind, (looks like it has floaties lol) You can get it at health stores, and various other places.

we put a cap full in the drinking water, and just eye it and splash it in to their pool, but I am sure you can find the right dilution amount online too.
smile.png

Last edited:
Make a stock solution of 2 ounces ultra bleach per gallon. The stock solution is then added at one ounce per gallon of drinking water, or pond water. This is to kill harmful bacteria not to remove the algae, add aeration to help limit algae growth. Green algae is actually good for the water as it consumes nutrients and oxygenates the water. All my water buckets have green algae growth, all I do is replace with fresh water daily but leave the algae. Red algae I believe is bad though and should be cleaned from the buckets or tubs.

Back
Top Bottom