Bleedind Duck,,foot

monathequeen

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Burlington KS
Hi Folks, I have an emergency here I need help with as soon as possible...
I have a Female Pekin who lost a toenail and is bleeding like crazy...I applied the stop-bleed powder and it still won't clot....what to do ?
Should I wrap her foot in gauze and let it clot ? She is trying to stand on the foot which causes the foot to keep bleeding..I cannot keep her off the foot. I'm at a lost here...I don't want her to bleed to death in front of my eye's...someone, please help....Thanks Ray
any syggestions ?

Thanks, She's fine.
The bleeding finally stopped. I was worried it wouldn't but again, my animals never cease to amaze me.
she is resting and I will keep an eye on her...now the other one has bumble foot really bad and I have to deal w/ that now....never a dull moment..She is also egg-bound and her tummy is swollen. I wish I was a miracle worker and had the power to keep all of them healthy..but......

For future reference, apply pressure for about 20 minutes. I have many ducks and have had this happen several times and they do bleed a LOT. Quick stop never helps, so holding a piece of gauze over the spot and applying pressure will eventually stop the bleeding. I also heard of people using a dab of super glue. I never did because I'm afraid it will sting, but I guess a few seconds of burning is better than bleeding for an hour.

Well for the eggbound one, I took her to the Vet last time and he put her on antibiotics in case of infection. She never got septic from being egg bound and she seemed to be ok all this time. Her Tummy is very swollen and hard now.
She also has the bumble foot..This poor Duck can't get a break.
The Vet said she will probably always be egg-bound because the yolk forms outside the ovaries ?
She hasn't laid an egg in months. She eats and swims and plays with the other's but now with the bumble foot, she kinda get's pooped from walking and I'm sure it's painful. I tried to remove the plug from the foot but there's no plug...it's just callus. I don't think I can do anything for her foot or her problem being eggbound. I feel so sorry for her and I can't take her back to the Vet because I'm sure there's nothing he can do...she will probably expire someday and I hope it's soon...I can't take it and I cannot put her down since she still thrives....????

Thanks for asking. Ray

Thank you so much for the advice. I will certainly do this next time..I had quite a scare but she did stopped bleeding and I think all is good...and I agree with the quick-stop...it doesn't seem to do any good. I poured quite a bit on her foot and it kept bleeding....the only reason it stopped was because she layed down and kept the pressure off that nail which eventually clotted...
Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom