Bleeding bumblefoot

4Duckssofar

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
I’ve been battling bumblefoot for 5 months with two of my ducks (Molly and Maggie). Maggie is now booked in with the vet as after being on antibiotics and regular soaks it still looks very angry and just won’t budge.

Molly (pictures included) on the other hand has a less worse case of bumblefoot as after her soaks I am able to pull the black scab off easily and with it comes some infection but I’m just really concerned about how much it bleeds every time. Is this right? I don’t want to be doing more damage. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• EB094864-07C3-4256-B4A8-1F7F59ADC13C.jpeg
    EB094864-07C3-4256-B4A8-1F7F59ADC13C.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 48
You definitely want to get as much infection off with each soaking as possible. To me, it looks like that "core" of blackish/yellowish material needs to come out too. Is this before or after a soak? Bumblefoot usually has a "kernel" of hard, pus-like material in the center of the infection that needs to come out.

You definitely want to get as much infection off with each soaking as possible. To me, it looks like that "core" of blackish/yellowish material needs to come out too. Is this before or after a soak? Bumblefoot usually has a "kernel" of hard, pus-like material in the center of the infection that needs to come out.
This is before a soak. I then can peel the scab off very easily and underneath the black is yellow but it’s the amount of bleeding that is concerning me, it just doesn’t seem to stop for ages.

When you remove a bumble scab especially if you start to cut into it or pull on it with tweezers it will bleed quite a bit. Keep a wad of fresh gauze to dab the blood up in-between, but the infection will not go away even with antibiotics if there is a kernel that needs to be removed at this stage if bumblefoot.

Last edited:
@4Duckssofar sounds like you're doing what needs to be done. Just control the bleeding as much as possible with gauze and applying pressure. If you can post an after-soak photo, the yellow may need to be removed also, but it's hard to know without seeing it cleaned up.

@4Duckssofar sounds like you're doing what needs to be done. Just control the bleeding as much as possible with gauze and applying pressure. If you can post an after-soak photo, the yellow may need to be removed also, but it's hard to know without seeing it cleaned up.
Ok, I’ll post a picture after I’ve soaked her foot and removed the scab.

Back
Top Bottom