Bleeding Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KAZROB, Aug 2, 2014.

1. KAZROB

KAZROB Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    Hi All,

I would really like some advise:

I have just discovered one of my chickens has a bleeding toe. I do believe it has just happened...all her nails are black in colour generally as she is Black too and it appears that the shell of one has been ripped off, as it is pink in colour, this is the only way I can explain, it is bleeding from the top of the nail and constantly, I am not sure what yo do, it is obviously sore as she is holding it up. I have dipped in betadine, as I don't have much else and tried to wrap it a bit, but it is still bleeding...she is a beautiful lady and I would love some advice as to what to do ....thanks a million in advance

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like the nail was torn off the nail bed?

Try applying pressure to the area - 10-15 minutes. If still bleeding try Styptic Powder or a Styptic Pencil. If you don't have that, then Cornstarch can work. Once you can stop the bleeding, spray with Blu-Kote or similar veterinarian antiseptic spray. It has a purple dye and antibacterial components. The purple helps prevent pecking at the scab/blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by