Bleeding chicks

Iowamom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Carlisle, Iowa
Well, I have had to pull two of my 3 week old chicks out of the brooder because they have been picked on their wings until they were bleeding. I have a red heat lamp for them, so maybe my brooder isn't big enough. Can anyone tell me how much floor space you need for 24 chicks? I may just have to go ahead and move them out to the chicken coop if my brooder is too small.

Thanks for the help!
Amy

I have 26 2.5 weeks old. I have a brooder 3ft by 5ft. They are fine right now but I worry that may not be big enough in maybe 3 weeks. That is still too young to move into the coop with the others, but if they get too crowded I'll have to build yet another brooder.

I'm keeping an eye on the temp - currently 80. But it sounds like my brooder is just too small for all those birds. I have them in a container that is 42 3/4" x 22". I guess that once we get past this cold weekend, they will go out in the coop where they will have plenty of room to spread out. I have 3 heat lamps so hopefully they will keep enough space warm enough for the little guys.

Take out one off the heat lamps, so they have a choice about the temps. Use that lamp to set another brooder, between the crowding and the heat you have some problems. Even a box will do for now.

Sorry, did a reread, you don't have all the lamps on the one brooder. Try splitting them up into 2 brooders, meanwhile separate the pecked one to heal a little. I have an old oven rack I put edgewise in the brooder to separate any I need to, that way they can be together, but not peck.

Last edited:
Ranchhand - that is a good idea on how to separate the pecked on ones. I was able to get a great second brooder container today so I am going to split them up tomorrow, but putting in an oven rack will keep the two injured ones separate so they can heal.

I actually put them back in today because they were mostly healed, and definitely not red anymore. I watched for awhile and nobody was going after them. But then we went out and ran errands - I felt so bad - they were even worse off than the first time, of course, because I wasn't there to rescue them.

I'm wondering if these two are just low man on the pecking order and will always get pecked on?? Seems like it right now...

Back
Top Bottom