Bleeding comb on Cockerel

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
One of my 5 week old cockerels has a few places on his comb and face that are bleeding because of the other 2 cockerels. I'm assuming it is just them determining their pecking order but I remember reading that if there is blood they shouldn't be left in there. Is this correct? Also, any suggestions on what to do to help with the crazy pecking order until I can get them a new home?

Here he is

How much space do they have? They may need more space, and plenty of protein. Is your feed 20% protein? You can disguise the wound so no others will peck it with Blu-Kote.

That's a bit young for all out dominance fighting, I would agree with the others about how much room do they have and are they bored, at that age it's more a sign of boredom and or crowding, and too much heat if you are still providing it.

The comb injuries you show are insignificant. Combs heal very fast.

A good way to disguise injuries so they don't present an cannibalistic attraction, is to put Blu-kote on them. It will also help heal the injuries.

Young cockerels will fight. At this age, the fighting isn't serious, though. They aren't going to kill each other unless one of them is already weakened due to illness or serious injury. You would remove any seriously ill or injured bird before it got that far.

If you observe any serious fighting where there are continuous injuries, you will do well to separate the ones involved in the conflicts. It's easy enough to do on a small scale. Just erect chicken wire barriers.

How much space do they have? They may need more space, and plenty of protein. Is your feed 20% protein? You can disguise the wound so no others will peck it with Blu-Kote.

They are on Purina nonmedicated chick starter that is fermented, not sure of the protein level. They also get night crawlers cut into thirds.

They are housed in a large washing machine box for another week until feathered more for the outside house.

What are you feeding them? It looks a lot like scratch grain. Are they getting any grit?

Your conflict problems are due to over-crowding and over-heating. They do not need a heat lamp at this age unless the temps are sub-zero.

Back
Top Bottom