Bleeding from claw or nail

Joev1973

Songster
May 1, 2019
Hohenwald Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
I went in coop and i was looking around and saw some blood on the floor. Fresh blood.

I followed it to a black chick a whiting true blue. Every she stepped she left blood and in her wake a frenzy of chickens and guineas pecking the blood on the floor.

I noticed it was coming from one of her claws. I will call it a nail to explain better. Shes bleeding where the nail meets the cuticle.

Anyhow to stop the frenzy i wanted to remove her before they realized it was her bleeding.

I took her in and rinsed her foot in warm water then put a good old band aid on her foot.

Shes in a sick bay cage until shes healed up and the bleeding stops.

Anything else i should do for her?

20190719_102742.jpg
20190719_102738.jpg

You can use some cornstarch or flour to help stop the bleeding. I would take the band aid off honestly, there's a chance it might be eaten. Once it stops bleeding you can take a q tip and put a bit of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on it. It may have gotten caught on something and torn. They usually heal up fine.

Thank you. It was a relief to follow a blood trail and see something so minor. Todays her lucky day as the heat index is over 100 degrees. Shes with us watching gunsmoke in the AC.

20190719_124142.jpg

I will remove the band aid and put Neosporin in it. I put a white puppy pad in there so if it continues to bleed it will stand out.

Back
Top Bottom