Bleeding from head or comb, not sure what to do *PIC*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momreda, Dec 16, 2009.

1. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    I just went out to check on them and noticed that one of my girls was bleeding near her comb. I was out about an hour ago to give them treats and did not notice this. I could hae missed it because there are 32 birds but I don't think so. I can not catch her to bring her in, she still has pep in her step and I am not sure what to do. I realize she is close in the pic however when I try to reach for her she takes off.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. WHITE LEGHORN, APPROX 20 WKS, NOT SURE
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. NORMAL, TALKATIVE
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? NOTICED THIS AFTERNOON
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. YES, BLEEDING
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. DO NOT KNOW, MAYBE FIGHT WITH OTHER BIRD [​IMG]
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. EVERYTHING
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. NORMAL
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? NOTHING YET
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? TO TRY TO CATCH HER, WASH HER WOUND, PUT ANTIBIOTIC CREAM ON IT
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use PINE, DEEP LITTER

[​IMG]

2. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    I'd just keep an eye on it. looks like it's not too bad. We had one last week that her whole side was covered in blood, her comb was ripped at the base a bit, and some of the fingers on it were half missing. We got a tough roo, but she mingled well with everyone, her appetite was good, and she was'nt crying out. I gave them some high protien cat food, heated up the coop, gave 'em greens etc, and two days later, you could hardly tell that she had a problem. If it gets worse, try to see who's doing it. If you need to clean her up, put neosporin on the wound and the comb. From what I see, she just had a tough day, got under someones tailfeathers!

3. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    Quote:Thanks so much Jafo, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Hope yours is doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by