Bleeding prolapsed vent

Daushenhaus

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
I have a bleeding prolapsed vent. I’m not sure if she is laying or not because we have so many. Does this mean there could be an egg stuck?

Yes, and it also means she's already likely been injured by other chickens pecking at her prolapse. Get her into a crate on a nice thick old towel ASAP. Give her plenty of water to drink and a calcium tablet. If you have a calcium supplement in the form of calcium citrate, that's what is best. Or give her a Tums as it has enough calcium in it to do the job.

A one-time soak in warm Epsom salt water is necessary to clean and disinfect the area. If you can find some witch hazel, it's an astringent and can help soothe and shrink the tissues as you use it to wet a soft cloth to gently push the prolapse back inside.

Cortisone cream is best to smooth onto the tissues to finish up. You will need to check on her several times a day, wetting a cloth with the witch hazel and pushing the prolapse back inside, finishing with cortisone cream.

The calcium tablet will encourage contractions, pushing any egg material out. If you see bits of collapsed egg instead if an intact egg come out, she will need an oral antibiotic, too. Give it every day for a week to ten days. Give the calcium tablet each day until she passes all the egg and the prolapse stays inside.

I'll check back later for any questions.

Back
Top Bottom