bleeding torn off toenail

newmamahen

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 22, 2009
Eugene
We have a little Silkie who somehow tore off one of her "small" toes toenails and it was bleeding. We put styptic and neosporin on it and it seems to have stopped the bleeding, however she is limping a bit. Is there something else we should be doing? Should she be separated from the other girls (there are 3 other "regular" chickens)? Should we get her to the vet? (we are rather new at this chicken parenting). Is it ok to leave her in the coop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If it's bad enough give her some space of her own til it's heals.I had it happen with a bird and she did fine after a couple days in our upper pens in the outer run.If the others taste the blood that could create a whole other problem you don't want.
thumbsup.gif
Good Luck.

One of my BR hens tore her nail off about a month or so ago. I cleaned it well, slapped some neosporin on it and covered with two band-aids (like we do if we cut the very end of our finger or something), so nothing could get to it and stuck her back outside. It healed just fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom