Blending chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by claraserena, Jun 21, 2017.

1. claraserena

claraserena Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    We have 5 two-month-old Welsh Harlequin ducks (1 male, 4 female) in one room of the barn with an outside pen and 40 some mixed flock chickens in the room right next to them. There is a screen door between them so they are used to each other that way. Chickens have always been free-range but we've lost 3 to a raccoon lately so I've kept them inside and they are not happy. Until we figure out making a large outdoor pen for the chickens, I'd like to open the screen door between ducks and chickens. That would give the chickens access to an outdoor pen and a new area for the ducks. I'm thinking to open the door late afternoon so they see each other "in person" when they are all more mellow. Does this sound like it would work? I don't want anyone to get hurt!

2. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Crowing

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    If there's a screen door between them then this whole time they've been able to see each other, right? If so then they'll most likely be fine. I had my ducks and chickens in different pens right next to eachother for a long time and took the walls down between them and it was fine. The rooster and drake don't get along all the time but nobody gets hurt.

3. claraserena

claraserena Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Thank you so much. I'll open the door tomorrow and report back.

4. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Crowing

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Sounds great. Hope it goes well!
    :fl

5. claraserena

claraserena Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    All went well--so far. Ducks ignore the chickens. Chickens keep emptying the ducks' food tray. And the chickesn are VERY happy to be outdoors!

jeroger2 likes this.
  6. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Crowing

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Yay! :celebrate

7. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    My chickens n ducks share same run but have their own coops. Never have a problem. Every once in awhile my silly roo tries to mate with my mallard but she's pretty fiesty and will have no part of that...lol. The ducks stick together and don't mind the chickens even when they all crowd in duck coop like it's theirs. And the chickens don't seem to be bothered by ducks even tho they rob each other's food

jeroger2 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: