Blending chickens and ducks

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
We have 5 two-month-old Welsh Harlequin ducks (1 male, 4 female) in one room of the barn with an outside pen and 40 some mixed flock chickens in the room right next to them. There is a screen door between them so they are used to each other that way. Chickens have always been free-range but we've lost 3 to a raccoon lately so I've kept them inside and they are not happy. Until we figure out making a large outdoor pen for the chickens, I'd like to open the screen door between ducks and chickens. That would give the chickens access to an outdoor pen and a new area for the ducks. I'm thinking to open the door late afternoon so they see each other "in person" when they are all more mellow. Does this sound like it would work? I don't want anyone to get hurt!

If there's a screen door between them then this whole time they've been able to see each other, right? If so then they'll most likely be fine. I had my ducks and chickens in different pens right next to eachother for a long time and took the walls down between them and it was fine. The rooster and drake don't get along all the time but nobody gets hurt.

All went well--so far. Ducks ignore the chickens. Chickens keep emptying the ducks' food tray. And the chickesn are VERY happy to be outdoors!

My chickens n ducks share same run but have their own coops. Never have a problem. Every once in awhile my silly roo tries to mate with my mallard but she's pretty fiesty and will have no part of that...lol. The ducks stick together and don't mind the chickens even when they all crowd in duck coop like it's theirs. And the chickens don't seem to be bothered by ducks even tho they rob each other's food

Back
Top Bottom