Blending flock

Hooray, patience pays off :) My situation might make you feel even better: we're integrating 2 groups that are 12 weeks apart, but each has a cockerel (one was intentional and the 2nd was an "oops" sexed as a pullet).

We're newbies; always figured we'd have numerous roosters...just not yet. Not that chickens let you plan anything. Our groups started meeting through the fence at 4 weeks and were supervised in the yard together by 7.

The plan had been to wait until 16 weeks, when the little chicks were big enough to blend in with the big ones, but I read there was a better chance of future rooster harmony if they were acquainted earlier. At 9 & 21 weeks, the groups are (maybe permanently) sleeping in separate coops but forage peacefully in the yard together. However, cockerel #2 is about to reach jerk stage, so no telling what the next few weeks will bring.

It would be so convenient to have them all in the same coop, but I can't imagine that happening any time soon, or ever. Just being patient and seeing what they decide. We have space and allll the time in the world right now to hang out with chickens, ha.

Best of continued luck!

Hooray, patience pays off :) My situation might make you feel even better: we're integrating 2 groups that are 12 weeks apart, but each has a cockerel (one was intentional and the 2nd was an "oops" sexed as a pullet).

We're newbies; always figured we'd have numerous roosters...just not yet. Not that chickens let you plan anything. Our groups started meeting through the fence at 4 weeks and were supervised in the yard together by 7.

The plan had been to wait until 16 weeks, when the little chicks were big enough to blend in with the big ones, but I read there was a better chance of future rooster harmony if they were acquainted earlier. At 9 & 21 weeks, the groups are (maybe permanently) sleeping in separate coops but forage peacefully in the yard together. However, cockerel #2 is about to reach jerk stage, so no telling what the next few weeks will bring.

It would be so convenient to have them all in the same coop, but I can't imagine that happening any time soon, or ever. Just being patient and seeing what they decide. We have space and allll the time in the world right now to hang out with chickens, ha.

Best of continued luck!
Love to hear others with same situations as ours. After about 3 weeks in the same coop last night was the first time there was NO problems in the coop. I actually keep a ring camera in the coop at night to watch what’s going on. Up until last night the older ones were pretty mean but the younger ones seem to have stood up for themselves.
Now that a couple of them are just a big as my Americuna they get along better.

Update on blending my gals.
While I am still having to make sure the younger ones get into the run. Once they are in the run they all head up into the coop and I am very happy to report that tonight was the first night there was NO fusing in the coop 👍👍 NO pecking from the older gals so I am one happy chicken mamma 🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓
I am glad things are all settled with your two groups. That gives me hope that my two groups will eventually settle down into coexistence. I am new at this and find that it is quite stressful trying to be sure that no one younger bird gets hurt due to hierarchical establishment. Taking up for the underlings is in my blood. 🥴. I understand they are going to do a bit of posturing. When the an older he. Pulls the feathers of a pullet I have a problem. Heavens - please let these creatures come to an understanding and settle down.
I may have missed it in your thread, how long did your blending take? I am at day 4 and getting all the girls into the run, the door closed, and everyone settled for the night seems to only be getting worse. 🥺.

Back
Top Bottom