Blind and confused hen.

I wish I had my camera with me when I fed her half a boiled egg mixed with torn up bread as reccomended. I have never seen a hen eat that fast! I used 2 white bowls. One with the egg/bread and one with some water. She seemed to really enjoy it, both drinking and eating really well. I figured that white bowls would be easier for her to see and associate future food with. She managed to find the bowls if I moved them around just a little bit. She is not totally blind as thought but her vision must be nearly non existant. Its good that she has eaten a good amount of food. I didnt want to over feed her so I will give her the other half of the egg with some bread again later. Can you over feed a hen?

Hi

Glad she enjoyed, mine love anything with carbohydrates. Yes little and often is better for them. She'll soon learn about the bowls if you feed her stuff she likes.

Good luck with her

Not sure poss because the risk of salmonella but that shouldn't be a problem over here. Your hen is a hybrid and the majority of those are vaccinated against salmonella at the hatcheries

I dont think that you should over do it with the boiled eggs and give them more than one a day tho, you could try cooked rice or pasta as an alternative energy booster

Go with the rice and pasta idea. Mine LOVE noodles. If one of mine is sick I literally make them noodle soup with meat balls and some veggies, then throw bread in it and they go bezerk.

It's common for a hen to enjoy raw eggs so much, that she will eat all the new eggs in the nest box. I don't think you have anything to worry about with her. She will be separated, and spoiled rotten. I wouldn't care if she ate her own eggs, with all that she will be missing in her life, so what?

Not sure poss because the risk of salmonella but that shouldn't be a problem over here. Your hen is a hybrid and the majority of those are vaccinated against salmonella at the hatcheries

I dont think that you should over do it with the boiled eggs and give them more than one a day tho, you could try cooked rice or pasta as an alternative energy booster

Back
Top Bottom