blind bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abcr, Oct 30, 2013.

1. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    if I wave my hand infront of my hens face she does not seem to move she is new could she be blind im not sure about the food but I shall try can anyone tell me any symptoms of a blind chicken[​IMG] Please help

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would just put her down, let her walk around and observe. Watch how she gets around, if she catches any little bugs, see if she gets up on her roost ok. Toss down a few meal worms or other treat, see if she see's them and pick's them up etc.

3. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    Thank you so much I am very gratefull

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Cafarmgirl. She could be blind, but let her walk around and see if she walks normally. A blind chicken will often bump into things, and won't usually roost. Their eyes might be grey, too. Blind chickens will not be good at eating feed from a feeder or pecking at food on the ground.

5. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    I think she isn't blind she can climb down from the coop she doesn't bump into things and she eats normally she was a little drowsy last night but it was her first night with my flock so i doubt she is

6. chickenegger

chickenegger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2012
    this happened to one of our chickens and it ended up just closing her eyes and seeing through her eyelids it was weird.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by