Blind chicken

Jawn

Hatching
Aug 15, 2023
Hey, everyone. So I have 3 hens and one had a grey eye when I got them. I found out that it was ocular merek's and found that eye to be blind. This morning when I let them out I realized that the other eye has gone blind as well, although it hasn't 'greyed'. Have been wondering if I should cull, or let her live out the rest of her life as is? She was by far the friendliest of the 3 and definitely my favorite of the bunch. She can be fed by hand easily enough, however, I haven't been able to get her to drink which is my main concern.

Has anyone raised a blind chicken? Or am I just increasing her suffering by keeping her alive? Thanks for any advice

Hey, everyone. So I have 3 hens and one had a grey eye when I got them. I found out that it was ocular merek's and found that eye to be blind. This morning when I let them out I realized that the other eye has gone blind as well, although it hasn't 'greyed'. Have been wondering if I should cull, or let her live out the rest of her life as is? She was by far the friendliest of the 3 and definitely my favorite of the bunch. She can be fed by hand easily enough, however, I haven't been able to get her to drink which is my main concern.

Has anyone raised a blind chicken? Or am I just increasing her suffering by keeping her alive? Thanks for any advice
This article might prove interesting.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-a-blind-or-partially-sighted-chicken.75986/

Back
Top Bottom