Blind Chickens

ChickMagnet130

Hatching
Feb 2, 2017

So about two years ago my Araucana (bottom) went blind and my Cochin (top) went blind about one year ago. There isn't any known reason, I noticed it when I went out to feed them. I was hoping someone might tell why they went blind from the pictures. If you know, please tell me, i don't want this to happen again.
Thank you.

Last edited:
First
welcome-byc.gif

How old are your chickens?. I really do not know why they may have gone blind. I do have a blind EE but that was due to a dog attack. Her eyes are there and look fine, but my chicken just cant see at all. That was 1 1/2 years ago. I take care of her and keep her separated so there is no picking on her. I think she finds food and water with her sense of smell. When free ranging my chickens, she is safe in a dog cage. I really think she is not aware that she is caged.

Thank you for your welcome.
The Araucana is 4 1/2 years old and the Cochin is 2 years. I don't put them in a cage because they seem to get around fine. I'm not sure if they are completely blind because they go places a blind chicken would not be able to go. I think they might be able to see shadows.

Back
Top Bottom