Lethargic and sick chicken

Chickenmama32

Hatching
Nov 13, 2023
I have a 2.5 year old chicken that looked a little off a few days ago, isolating herself but would come out into the yard to free range. I found her one evening in the yard wandering when the others went into the coop. Decided next day to bring her in because I noticed she had a poopy butt and hadn’t been eating much. Got her to eat some scrambled eggs and giving her rooster booster by syringe. I noticed when trying to get her to eat she pecks in mid air. I’m pretty sure she’s going blind. She walks fine, a little cautious. Now that she’s figured out where the food and water are she’s eating and drinking now. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5855.jpeg
    IMG_5855.jpeg
    900 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5853.jpeg
    IMG_5853.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to BYC! So sorry about your hen.

When was her last egg?
Early the next morning, give her crop a check and make sure its empty.
Does she have any bloating in the abdomen? (Abdomen is located underneath the vent in behind the legs.)
Her droppings look alright, nothing too concerning there.
Could you get some close up pictures of both eyes?
Do some tests like waving your hand in front of her and see how she reacts.

First of all :welcome
Poor girl :(
It looks like sour crop to me. How does her crop feel?? Hard and normal or squishy like a water balloon?
Is her crop emptying at night like it should??
Try soaking some bread in apple cider vinegar and see if she will take it.
Maybe @Eggcessive will have some more information.

2.5 year old chicken that looked a little off a few days ago, isolating herself but would come out into the yard to free range. I found her one evening in the yard wandering when the others went into the coop. Decided next day to bring her in because I noticed she had a poopy butt and hadn’t been eating much. Got her to eat some scrambled eggs and giving her rooster booster by syringe. I noticed when trying to get her to eat she pecks in mid air. I’m pretty sure she’s going blind. She walks fine, a little cautious. Now that she’s figured out where the food and water are she’s eating and drinking now.
Welcome TO BYC

Can you post photos of her eyes?

Any issues with production - soft shelled eggs or not laying?
Has she molted this year?

Pecking the air sounds neurological. I'd start her on vitamin therapy to see if that helps.
Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily with a little egg to help with the uptake of E.

Check her for lice/mites and see that her crop is emptying overnight.

Thank you all! Her crop has been empty since she hasn’t been eating. In the last day she’s started eating and drinking on her own. Small amounts. Still putting rooster booster in the water. Not sure if it’s because she’s figured out where the food is or what. I posted a video of what she does with her head. I ordered amoxicillin to give her that should be here in a day or two to try since I wasn’t sure what’s going on. She’s molted for the year but I noticed some feathers falling out when she preens herself. I’m not sure when she laid last. Her abdomen isn’t swollen. She’s laid off and on for awhile now. I thought at one point she had egg yolk peritonitis but she survived with supportive care whatever it was. I attached pictures of each eye and a recent poop she did while I was cleaning the cage. I can’t post the video of her pecking into mid air. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_5863.jpeg
    IMG_5863.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5864.jpeg
    IMG_5864.jpeg
    805.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5862.jpeg
    IMG_5862.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom