Blind Chickens

@Jen76322 This is a good support group and learning group for having a blind baby if you are interested.
My baby is blind and has scissor beak. Yesterday, the last feeding , she actually pecked a piece of egg from my hand. This is a big thing. She kept trying to Peck more but kept missing. We tried it that way until she got frustrated and gave up. Then it was back to wrestling her mouth open, getting the egg on her toung, her swallowing, repeat. :celebrate

My baby is blind and has scissor beak. Yesterday, the last feeding , she actually pecked a piece of egg from my hand. This is a big thing. She kept trying to Peck more but kept missing. We tried it that way until she got frustrated and gave up. Then it was back to wrestling her mouth open, getting the egg on her toung, her swallowing, repeat. :celebrate
Go 7!!!!!!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

I have an old hen who became blind on one eye due to an injury. She used to spend lots of her time in the coop. I felt very bad and didn't feel like I was giving her a quality life. I was going to cull her but decided to help her instead. She was too submissive, constantly squatting whenever a hen got near. Some of the other hens wouldn't let her eat or drink without chasing her away. I would hand feed her and give her some water every time I came into the coop.

She used to roost all day inside the coop. It took lots of encouragement but she eventually settled in with the rest of the flock. She is completely different now. You wouldn't even know she was blind unless you looked at her injured eye. She has become one of my favorite chickens.

@Lobo123 Thank you so much for sharing that. I'm glad that she is living her best life and is one of your favorite babies. Would you mind if I asked her breed, name, or age? Sorry I'm someone who likes to visualize and maybe I'm just nosy idk.

Also odd question for everyone, what does you birds blind eye look like? My ducks eye just looks misty and my chickens looks like a galaxy and my other chicken was a mix of both of those.

They look flatter to me, and her head seems shaped oddly to me. This pic shows her eyes pretty well.
0721201154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom