Blind Chickens

I have to as...how do tell if they are blind and not just being obstinate. I have an orpington that I SWEAR is nearly blind when it's treat time. She hesitates on locating a treat in front of her to the point the littles grab it right out from under her beak. She seems to get frustrated and walks away almost in disgust that she didn't get but a very few.

I have to as...how do tell if they are blind and not just being obstinate. I have an orpington that I SWEAR is nearly blind when it's treat time. She hesitates on locating a treat in front of her to the point the littles grab it right out from under her beak. She seems to get frustrated and walks away almost in disgust that she didn't get but a very few.

My hellen was obviously vision impaired as she had a horrible time figuring out how to walk around. She too would work harder whenever I got her treats. I would just have to wait and get my hand pecked. Her favorites were watermellon as she could see it a little bit better when she wasn't fully blind could find the big rines on the ground.

I have a blind rooster, he is a 12 week old EE. I would guess he is 80% blind. We don’t know exactly why he went blind but it started when he was about 9 weeks old.
He seems very happy otherwise. He know where all their food and water stations are as he can operate the ramps - hesitantly but he does it. I have to move the ramp inside the coop that leads to the roost, currently it is in front of the nest boxes which are blocked off. I will spend a couple days working with him once I move it so he knows where it is.
He seems to be able to see red a bit better (his special treat dish is red - he can’t scratch around to find treats like the rest) so I am considering paint the ramp and roost red.
He’s very attached to me, I hope this doesn’t change as he matures. We planned on getting rid of him originally but when he went blind we made sure we were allowed to have a rooster in our community (and we are!) so we are going to try and keep him. This is our first year having chickens so we will see how it goes.
This is my handsome Gwynne

Attachments

• 7E752F45-122A-470B-9ED3-29030FA2BAD4.jpeg
    7E752F45-122A-470B-9ED3-29030FA2BAD4.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 9
@Lovem all I’m his mama, and he is a mamas boy for sure. I believe his mix is Maran? From what the lady I got them from tells me about their possible mix’s that’s my best guess. He is very handsome and now has beautiful green and rust coloured feathers coming out on his wings, neck and head.
I’ll do whatever I can for him to make his life easier. And make sure he can live it to the fullest. ❤️🐓

@CluckingCrazyCoop I totally get the mamas boy rooster thing. My Zepper boy runs up to me and sometimes even cries till I hold him. Also isn't it so exciting when roos start getting all their little accessories? Gwynne is going to look so handsome when he's a big boy. Also I wonder, does he still try to mount the hens?

@Lovem all his hormones for that haven’t kicked in yet, so we will see... no pun intended lol
He crows his little heart out in the morning but is mostly quiet the rest of the day. I just hope he doesn’t become aggressive out of frustration at being able to get the girls if he can’t due to his sight. My husband and I agreed to just take it one day at a time while he matures and adjust the plan and his needs as necessary.
And yes Gwynne bawks for me to pick him up as well. He usually will stand between my feet or on my sneaker until I get the hint. If I crouch down he sits under me, I always tel him I can’t hatch him cause he’s already a big boy lol
What kind of rooster is Zepper?

Back
Top Bottom