Blind in One Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chasinglights27, Dec 19, 2012.

1. chasinglights27

chasinglights27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    I have a little chicken that I hatched out on November 4th, 2012. It was really small compared to its hatch mates. But I noticed last week that its eyes were different colors. (My grandpa had a stroke when I was a kid and he became blind in one eye. One was Brown and the other blue.) So I am wondering if this chick is blind or its just has two different eye colors? The left eye is normal looking, but the right eye is a blue-grey color. Anyone have any thoughts? Ooh and if anyone can answer if its a boy or a girl?

[​IMG]

BLIND EYE

[​IMG]

Good Eye

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If there is no discharge (clear or gummy) from the eye or the chick is not wobbly or stumbling, I would not worry too much.
    It's either a mis-colored eye or perhaps blinded.
    Cute chick tho.
    Not sure about the sex.
    [​IMG]

3. chasinglights27

chasinglights27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    Alright Thank You, Nope there no discharge or anything! Just like the other eye just another color. [​IMG]

4. katyoh7

katyoh7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2013
    Wow. That is what happened to one of my chicks (a buff orpington) I got the group of them when they were a day old and she also was the smallest of the group, but very feisty (her name is Baby) She is now 8 months old and is just coming around me. She was extremely wary of everyone but a select group of hens (her age), she socialized but very limited. She kept to herself a lot. Now she is beginning to come around me but really doesn't allow me to touch her and she doesn't jump in my lap like most of the others. That's when I noticed the difference in eyes. She is blind in her right eye. She sounds just like your chick. She's such a doll just wary, and for good reason. She was the last to feather out. She was always the smallest however she has caught up. She's a good girl.

5. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    How old is your chicken? That will help with the gender. And does your chicken seem slightly clumsy? The way I realized one of my chickens was blind in one eye was I realized she couldn't see her favorite treat from one eye because she wouldn't eat it. Maybe you can try this to see if its really blind. And has it been vaccinated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by