Blind one eye, Light Brahma born spring 2019. Ideas?

jenncat1

Chirping
Jun 21, 2019
I got a Light Brahma 4 weeks ago, she was born this spring. After a few days I noticed she was keeping 1 eye closed, could not see injury or discharge, nostrils clear. Her eye looked like it was set too far back with too much of the pink part showing in corner. Not sure if she could still see. Sent pics ,Vet recommend flushing few days for a foreign object, called again & vet came out. He saw no injury or illness, infection. We determined she was blind in that eye. Vet said it almost looked like her Iris was see through. He has never seen this (young vet, very good tho) & was going
IMG_20191015_171247156.jpg
to research. She acts completely normal, eating, drinking, roosting, walking, playing, interacting (holds her own too). That is not gunk in the corner of the eye. Has anyone seen this??

Have you given her any vision tests to assess how much she actually sees?

The left eye focuses on distance so she need that eye to watch for predators. The right eye focuses on close objects, so she uses that eye to find her food.

Since chickens use each eye independently, you can test each eye from the side to see how well that eye is functioning.

It looks like she might have symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease which can cause bubbles or foam in an eye, and the eye may look sunken like hers. I can see what looks like cloudiness or a cataract in the pupil of the eye. Cataracts, infections, and corneal abrasions can be common in chickens. You can buy Terramycin eye ointment at many feed stores (ask a clerk since it is usually locked up,) or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment would be okay to use twice a day instead. If you would like to treat the MG, most people use Tylan which you may buy here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, and they do sell out often, but today seems to be back in stock.

It looks like she might have symptoms of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease which can cause bubbles or foam in an eye, and the eye may look sunken like hers. I can see what looks like cloudiness or a cataract in the pupil of the eye. Cataracts, infections, and corneal abrasions can be common in chickens. You can buy Terramycin eye ointment at many feed stores (ask a clerk since it is usually locked up,) or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment would be okay to use twice a day instead. If you would like to treat the MG, most people use Tylan which you may buy here:
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, and they do sell out often, but today seems to be back in stock.
X2

The left eye focuses on distance so she need that eye to watch for predators. The right eye focuses on close objects, so she uses that eye to find her food.

Since chickens use each eye independently, you can test each eye from the side to see how well that eye is functioning.
The vet did check her vision & thinks at best she may see light & dark in the left eye. She eats well, but misses sometimes like when she eats from my hand. She eats from one spot in the same feeder in the coop. It's red & attracts her attention I think. She scratches & eats anything she wants outside. She doesn't get picked on, when startled she instantly hops & kicks to her blind side (regardless of what's there). I've even seen her hand out a peck here & there. Good info about left/right vision, thanks!

Thanks, I think cataract or abrasion are good possibilities. My neighbor suggested Tylan 50 & I still can't get any. Even the vet clinic was out! Vet did not see any infection & we've watched about 2 weeks for respiratory symptoms in the flock. Thanks for the link, I'd like to have some on hand before I need it.

Wow, that is very interesting. I didn’t know each eye functions independently. I have a chicken that is blind in one eye. It is her right eye and when I watch her eat it always takes her about four or five tries to get the piece of food. Good information!

Wow, that is very interesting. I didn’t know each eye functions independently. I have a chicken that is blind in one eye. It is her right eye and when I watch her eat it always takes her about four or five tries to get the piece of food. Good information!
Your hen is having trouble eating because the right eye is typically the close eye, and the left eye is for distance and spotting danger. I have a hen blind in her right eye that I need to give her her treats separately so she has a shot at getting some.

Not only do chicken eyes work independently, but they are doing their independent job at the same time, one focusing on distance for danger while the other eye is looking for food. With humans, only mothers have this skill - those eyes in the back of our heads can spot everything a child is up to.

Your hen is having trouble eating because the right eye is typically the close eye, and the left eye is for distance and spotting danger. I have a hen blind in her right eye that I need to give her her treats separately so she has a shot at getting some.

Not only do chicken eyes work independently, but they are doing their independent job at the same time, one focusing on distance for danger while the other eye is looking for food. With humans, only mothers have this skill - those eyes in the back of our heads can spot everything a child is up to.
LOL! Yeah, I always call her name and she knows that it means special treats for her. We go and hide around the corner from all the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom