Blind poult

ziggybond007

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Hey all,
I’ve got a little bronze poult that hatched out yesterday and it is blind in both eyes. It can see bright light but that is as far as it goes... anyone have any experience with teaching a blind bird to eat or drink? I figure if it survives and thrives, it’ll be a special needs inside bird along with my house rooster.

Attachments

• C0DCC8A4-5006-4EE7-9292-3BD7DE9C564B.png
    C0DCC8A4-5006-4EE7-9292-3BD7DE9C564B.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Hey all,
I’ve got a little bronze poult that hatched out yesterday and it is blind in both eyes. It can see bright light but that is as far as it goes... anyone have any experience with teaching a blind bird to eat or drink? I figure if it survives and thrives, it’ll be a special needs inside bird along with my house rooster.
Hi there, I have a turkey i raised from a poult that is blind in one eye. She needed a little extra support as a poult - I would do her a little pot of food and place her in it so she could peck at the ground and eat. I would say that as your poult grows, it may learn where the food and water is as long as the layout of the area remains the same. I also have chicken that is blind in both eyes. She has learnt where the food and water is, and evens go to the coop by herself. She can locate the nest boxes and the perches. Perhaps whilst your poult is young it will need extra support. Maybe keep a close eye on it and ensure it is eating and drinking. Maybe you will need to place the water in front of it so it can easily find the water, or hold it in front of the poult and dip its beak in it. Hope this helps!

I am not an expert on turkeys or blind poultry so if I have said anything incorrect please correct me! Good luck with your poult, I hope it survives!

Hi there, I have a turkey i raised from a poult that is blind in one eye. She needed a little extra support as a poult - I would do her a little pot of food and place her in it so she could peck at the ground and eat. I would say that as your poult grows, it may learn where the food and water is as long as the layout of the area remains the same. I also have chicken that is blind in both eyes. She has learnt where the food and water is, and evens go to the coop by herself. She can locate the nest boxes and the perches. Perhaps whilst your poult is young it will need extra support. Maybe keep a close eye on it and ensure it is eating and drinking. Maybe you will need to place the water in front of it so it can easily find the water, or hold it in front of the poult and dip its beak in it. Hope this helps!

I am not an expert on turkeys or blind poultry so if I have said anything incorrect please correct me! Good luck with your poult, I hope it survives!
Also if it can see bright lights, maybe put something shiny in the water for it to peck at, and shine a light onto this so it reflects off.

Back
Top Bottom