Blind silkie lethargic

myriams

Chirping
Oct 6, 2021
Hello
I'm looking for some advice on my 8 month old silkie.
She has suddenly become blind. I think she see's some shadows from one eye so when she tries to look it makes her dizzy and her head wobbles from side to side. I have put her on vitamine E, selenium and for almost 2 days nutri drench but have not seen any improvements. I don't know if she was injured. A few months ago I noticed a bump under her face and since she had no other symptoms I have been monitoring her like suggested on the group. I have tried to find a vet but none are available in my area. Since she has gone blind 3 days ago I have been feeding her every hour by hand. She cannot eat alone as I have to hold the bowl in her face while she pecks randomly in the air. I have managed to show her to drink by shaking the water in her face. She is lethargic and sleeps the rest of the time especially since opening her eyes seems to make her dizzy. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_143411.jpg
    IMG_20220118_143411.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220118_143450.jpg
    IMG_20220118_143450.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220118_143501.jpg
    IMG_20220118_143501.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 3
I don't know whats wrong with her, but when I have a sick chicken I always give them garlic water or garlic chunks, colloidal silver, vetrx poultry aid, and dewormer. Is she eating?

Does she always keep her eyes closed? Is she blind or just always having her eyes closed? Can you see if her pupils are round, and if her colored irises are normal and alike? Is there any gunk in the eyes or cloudiness of the pupil? Ammonia odors in the coop can irritate the eyes. You could try some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in each eye for a week or two. I’m not sure what else you can do if it doesn’t seem to be an injury or infection, if there is much you can do for her. Blind chickens do best with food and water always in the same place, and in a familiar place.

I don't know whats wrong with her, but when I have a sick chicken I always give them garlic water or garlic chunks, colloidal silver, vetrx poultry aid, and dewormer. Is she eating?
She is only eating because I feed her. Every hour I wake her up and put the food in her face so she pecks randomly and I make such sure her random pecks obtain food.

Does she always keep her eyes closed? Is she blind or just always having her eyes closed? Can you see if her pupils are round, and if her colored irises are normal and alike? Is there any gunk in the eyes or cloudiness of the pupil? Ammonia odors in the coop can irritate the eyes. You could try some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in each eye for a week or two. I’m not sure what else you can do if it doesn’t seem to be an injury or infection, if there is much you can do for her. Blind chickens do best with food and water always in the same place, and in a familiar place.
When she eats she opens her eyes. They are clouded but her pupils seem ok. She shows no sign of an eye infection. It's hard to tell with a silkie cause the eye is black. When her eyes are open her head sways back and forth. Like she can't focus. And when she pecks at food shes off to one side by a few inches. With food in front of her she turns lightly in circles while eating. As if her inner alignment was off and she thinks she needs to turn or reach behind her to obtain it. So even if her food was in the same spot for the moment she's too dizzy to eat on her own.

When she eats she opens her eyes. They are clouded but her pupils seem ok. She shows no sign of an eye infection. It's hard to tell with a silkie cause the eye is black. When her eyes are open her head sways back and forth. Like she can't focus. And when she pecks at food shes off to one side by a few inches. With food in front of her she turns lightly in circles while eating. As if her inner alignment was off and she thinks she needs to turn or reach behind her to obtain it. So even if her food was in the same spot for the moment she's too dizzy to eat on her own.
I realize this is a somewhat older thread but do you have any updates to how her situation played out. I'm currently having a hen with the same issue.

Back
Top Bottom