Blister on waddle after cat attack

LottieLou

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2013
This pict was taken approx 60 hours after a cat attack. The chicken was severely injured and spent 2 days 1 night at the vet. Her grossly open neck laceration was sutured, she was started on 7 days of the antibiotic Clavamox and an anti-inflammatory. This blister was first noticed on Wednesday, the chicken was injured mid-day on Monday. On Saturday eve I started cleaning it with Vetericyn Plus topical spray. The neck laceration and puncture sites look good. She is eating, drinking, and active. I cleaned the site before taking the picture. The thin skin covering the blister peeled back. After these skin peeled back some serous-looking, thin fluid came out but the white stuff is like dead, white tissue. She came vaccinated from a feed store. I looked at a lot of fowl pox picts have not been convinced this is the problem. I have already spend a large amount of money at the vet and want to manage this at home. The site does not seem tender. She lets me clean it without a fight. She fights taking medications. Hopefully the attached pict opens. Thoughts pls & TIA!

Attachments

• C0D6751C-92F1-4EA2-AD4B-80103C141988.pdf
    11.5 MB · Views: 2
It does look like chicken pus. If you press it, is there any thick material?
I think I would clean it with Chlorhexidine and keep triple antibiotic ointment on it.

@Eggcessive may have better suggestions.

Here's a copy of your photo just in case folks can't get the PDF to open for some reason.

1632077603819.jpeg

It does look like chicken pus. If you press it, is there any thick material?
I think I would clean it with Chlorhexidine and keep triple antibiotic ointment on it.

@Eggcessive may have better suggestions.

Here's a copy of your photo just in case folks can't get the PDF to open for some reason.

View attachment 2838666
Thank you! IDK why pict would not attach another way. I expected thick material to come out of the bottom with some gentle pressure, however, it did not. With some gentle pressure with a finger on the backside of the waddle (the backside is intact) some thin fluid drained from the top and it became apparent that the white stuff was tissue-like in consistency.

I would use chlorhexidene or Hibiclens with half water to clean, and try to clean off any loose exudate (pus.) Then keep applying the plain antibiotic ointment twice daily. Hopefully it will start drying up.
D802EFD4-1167-4DBF-9AB0-3FE2DE9F7049.JPG

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me with this; it is truly appreciated! I started the antibiotic ointment last night. This is how it looked this morning. I let her stay out in the coop and run with our one other chicken yesterday. The other chicken was really happy to have her back and has not bothered this one. When I brought her in for the night last night, it looked like she had scraped the raised, discolored area off as that side of her head was dirty. I washed her waddle and started using the ointment. I will start the chlorhexidine tonight.

Back
Top Bottom