Bloated 10 yr old pygmy goat - She passed :(

This one is a bit cheaper. Maybe look at your local feed store too for one.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/product.asp?pn=JI-FA&camid=LIV

@ cassie

What is entero antitoxin suppose to treat in goats?

That is cheaper because it's nothing but the tip, and needs a Leur Lock syringe to go with it before you can use it
The one I posted is a complete unit with a 30 ML syringe

The entero antitoxin treats Clostridium Perfringens (Overeating Disease), which is a bacterial disease
It's what they should be vaccinated for with the CD%T vaccine

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/08018.html

Entertoxemia is a frequently severe disease of sheep and goats of all ages.
Causative bacteria are present in relatively low numbers and appear to be in a relatively quiescent state in the normal, healthy animal.
Treatment may not be successful in severe cases​

Enterotoxemia antitoxin is to treat enterotoxemia in goats and sheep. Entero is caused by Clostridium perfingens. Clostridium perfingens is a normal inhabitant of the gut, but under some conditions it will proliferate and cause enterotoxemia. Clostridial organisms secrete a toxin which causes the problem. Usual thing that causes entero is a sudden intake of rich food but sometimes it can occur for no discernible reason. Some areas of the country see a lot of it. In other areas it is rare. I think the pH of the soil has something to do with it. The first symptoms of entero is the animal looks uncomfortable. It may stretch. There is a tautness to the abdomen. Then the bloat becomes more pronounced and the goat is in obvious pain. It may press its head against the wall. Later it will start screaming and will die shortly without treatment. The course of the disease is usually just a few hours, sometimes less. Sometimes a lot less. There is a so called chronic form where the course of the disease is a few days rather than a few hours. The main symptom is the animal is bloated, uncomfortable, probably won't eat, and may have a profuse diarrhea. All goats should be vaccinated for entero using the clostridium perfingens toxoid, but since the vaccine is not 100% effective, antitoxin should be kept on hand. Both entero and bloat strike without warning, and both are a true emergency. It can strike any goat at any age at any time. That is why goat owners should have entero antitoxin and GasX on hand at all times. When you need it you need it NOW. There just isn't time to go to the store or livestock supply to get some.

Displaced abomasum. That is the term I couldn't think of last night when I mentioned a torsion. Sometimes vigorous exercise (a brisk run) will cause the abomasum to flop back where is belongs. The only other treatment for DA is surgery. Both chronic entero and a displaced abomasum will produce the symptoms you describe.

If you are treating for bloat, baking soda and water is good. My goats have baking soda 24/7. A turkey baster will work in a pinch to drench the goat. I've done a rumen puncture for a very bloated goat. Not fun. You can use therabloat, you can use gas-x, even some simple detergent will work. What it does is act as a surfactant to get small bubbles to form larger bubbles that then burst, relieving the gas pressure and build up. Baking soda is a base, which reacts with acid to neutralize it. That releases the bloat bubbles. Expect explosive belches when you use it. Baking soda doesn't hurt and can greatly help. Its also readily available.

WOW! Thanks for all the new info! None of the books, nor the vet mentioned enterotoxemia as a possibility. She's still hanging in there, but oviously extremely uncomfortabl
sad.png
. I'm at work, but I'll see if DD can pick something up at the feed store. The baking soda doesn't seem to be working, but I'll keep giving it. She's not "free feeding" the baking soda, so I've been drenching. I've also been giving her about 2 T. of active live cultures (obtained from the health food store). Again, thanks for the suggestions.
eta the vet we use is a large animal vet - not sure why he's so puzzled by this case
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
That is cheaper because it's nothing but the tip, and needs a Leur Lock syringe to go with it before you can use it
The one I posted is a complete unit with a 30 ML syringe

The entero antitoxin treats Clostridium Perfringens (Overeating Disease), which is a bacterial disease
It's what they should be vaccinated for with the CD%T vaccine

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/livestk/08018.html

Entertoxemia is a frequently severe disease of sheep and goats of all ages.
Causative bacteria are present in relatively low numbers and appear to be in a relatively quiescent state in the normal, healthy animal.
Treatment may not be successful in severe cases

I know why cheaper was just giving another option. I as a livestock owner always have the luer lock syringes by the 100's here....I thought that was obvious I guess....sorry! I like the one you posted because it has a 30ml tube, that would be nice.

After shipping and/or other products I notice too sometimes the one that had cheaper products....total came out to be more. So you have to see what fits or suits you best for what you need to order.

My DD has informed me the goat has "foamy bloat", which I guess is harder to treat. The vet had given her thera bloat when he was out - 3 days ago - but didn't leave any with us, nor did he suggest buying more. I've read that Tide laundry detergent can help. We'll try that this evening. I feel so sorry for this goat, whose name is Daisy. She was a 4X Grand Champion in her day.

Get a gas x gell cap. Poke a hole in it with a pin and squirt it in her mouth at the back of the throat so she has to swallow it. This has saved goats for me.

DD told me that the vet did vaccinate for Clostridium when he was out here, though, as she was a couple years overdue for the vaccine. So I guess he did realize that could be the problem, he also mentioned he's had many goats stop getting foamy bloat after the vaccine. He also said that tubing won't help so much with foamy bloat...maybe that's why the GasX isn't helping either...it's less actual gas and more foam than anything. We're going to try Tide next..wish us luck.
sad.png

Did he treat her with antitoxin or toxoid? Toxoid is for long term prevention, antitoxin is for treatment and short term prevention. If she does have entero, the toxoid will not do her any good today. In two weeks maybe but not today. It would be helpful and interesting to know what is causing the bloat in the first place. Did he check her for a displaced abomasum? My money is still on either entero or a DA. Could be something else though. Goats are nothing if not inventive.

Back
Top Bottom