Bloated belly

Mgabe

Hatching
Apr 11, 2021
One of my hens has a bloated belly and messy vent. I contacted my vet but he said draining will only be a temporary fix so I was wondering if I was just prolonging the inevitable.
I let him know her comb was purplish and I knew from prior sick hens this was not a good sign. For the past five days I have been cleaning her bottom (I cut feathers near vent to make this easier, soaking her in warm bath (she loves this), and applied both an anti fungal cream and spray to her bottom.
she is still eating and drinking and walking around a like like a penguin but since I’ve been doing all this she does seem a little better and her comb is actually more red.
I thought there was no hope for her but could there be; I do have needles to do draining myself but am so afraid because some threads on here mention shock, etc and I don’t want to do more harm than good. Any advice.

This is my first post and not sure how it says hatching at top; I posted under emergencies.

In my opinion I would try to drain and give her a chance. However, you do not have to do that and culling is the other option. No matter what route you chose you have my support. So sorry. :hugs :hugs

In my opinion I would try to drain and give her a chance. However, you do not have to do that and culling is the other option. No matter what route you chose you have my support. So sorry. :hugs :hugs
Thank you so much, her improvement without draining has made me hopeful. She actually looks a little less bloated even and I’m not sure if that is even possible without draining.
She is even starting to poop some solid again; before it was just yellow/liquidy. Culling is not something I myself could ever do so I need to most likely work up the nerve to drain her.
She seems to be enjoying the extra attention, yesterday wasn’t sunny out so I was blow drying her after her warm bath and she seemed to love it.

Thank you so much, her improvement without draining has made me hopeful. She actually looks a little less bloated even and I’m not sure if that is even possible without draining.
She is even starting to poop some solid again; before it was just yellow/liquidy. Culling is not something I myself could ever do so I need to most likely work up the nerve to drain her.
She seems to be enjoying the extra attention, yesterday wasn’t sunny out so I was blow drying her after her warm bath and she seemed to love it.
My hen Ginger was looking good then today not so much. Standing upright, more like a penguin, and can’t seem to keep her eyes open. I’ve been pampering her for over a week and I did end up draining her. I was very nervous but it was easier than I thought. I’m not sure she will make it through the night but I feel better I relieved the pressure of all that bloat. It was a clear yellow fluid (like urine color) which I’ve read is a sign of liver failure. Why is it always the favorite!? 😢

Attachments

• E4CCD0E2-E9DC-46E4-B494-374E0D81BF39.jpeg
    E4CCD0E2-E9DC-46E4-B494-374E0D81BF39.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 7
This was a week ago; she seemed to really enjoy the warm baths (I was trying anything, in case she was eggbound) but she especially loved the blow dryer!

Attachments

• 0E042C67-0574-48E0-B995-784527CC9AD6.png
    0E042C67-0574-48E0-B995-784527CC9AD6.png
    865.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 8DD7E683-968F-43FE-8C6B-64512ADC09F3.png
    8DD7E683-968F-43FE-8C6B-64512ADC09F3.png
    898.9 KB · Views: 6
  • D71FD55B-A94F-4518-924B-1C2BFC1E0CB4.jpeg
    D71FD55B-A94F-4518-924B-1C2BFC1E0CB4.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom