EMERGENCY hen recovered from bumble foot is extremely bloated and wierd comb

My hen has just recovered from bumble foot, but she is extremely bloated, and her comb is white specked and has a blue hue. She is so bloated that she’s almost rock hard, and when she is handled she starts gasping. She also lays down a lot when unbothered. I’ve seen her eating and drinking. Is this water belly, or favus, and what can I do. I tried to take pictures of bloated bum, but I don’t know if you can tell anything from them. She is also standing with her tail down. She is currently in the same shed with four other birds but in a separate cage. Do I need to put her away from the others, and what can I do

I am willing to try this, as an experienced chicken keeper, do you think I should do this instead of putting her down even though there is a chance of death. And how long do you think I have until I need to do it, because I need to buy a needle, get help and do more research
You can try draining to see if it gives her some relief.
Keep in mind that draining is a supportive care and comfort measure. Whatever is causing the fluid in the abdomen (Symptom Ascites) still exists and usually will not improve. Some common causes of fluid in the abdomen is heart/organ failure/dysfunction and/or reproductive disorders (cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc.). There's really no way to know the cause unless a necropsy is performed if you lose the hen.

Draining has risks, you can introduce bacteria into the abdominal cavity with the needle stick and infection can set in. If you drain too much fluid too fast, this can cause the hen to go into cardiac arrest or shock. You may also be unsuccessful in draining and find that there's not fluid in the abdomen that you first thought.

I'm sorry she's not doing very well.

I am willing to try this, as an experienced chicken keeper, do you think I should do this instead of putting her down even though there is a chance of death. And how long do you think I have until I need to do it, because I need to buy a needle, get help and do more research
I think you may need to do it sooner. A larger sized sewing needle or the tip of a knife can make a small incision. I have used hypodermic needles but some use the tiny tip of a sharp knife. Keep in mind, you are just going into the skin of the belly, then stop. I’m sorry that this may be necessary. You are the best person to tell if her belly is big and tight with fluid. This might give some temporary relief, but it won’t cure her.

I think you may need to do it sooner. A larger sized sewing needle or the tip of a knife can make a small incision. I have used hypodermic needles but some use the tiny tip of a sharp knife. Keep in mind, you are just going into the skin of the belly, then stop. I’m sorry that this may be necessary. You are the best person to tell if her belly is big and tight with fluid. This might give some temporary relief, but it won’t cure her.
I’m doing it this afternoon, any other tips

The pictures in the previous post show the position of the needle.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

Disinfect the skin, use a larger hypodermic needle, such as an 18 gauge needle, with or without a large syringe. Just go under the skin in the abdomen. Remove the needle once she is drained. Keep her on a towel afterward to soak up any fluids that leaks. Offer her some electrolytes and vitamins in her water to replenish those. You can collect fluid in a measuring or other cup to see the color.

Hello! Sorry to hear about your hen, that's tough to deal with.

I actually joined BYC because of a sick hen, who I'm pretty sure had ascites. I ended up putting her down last week with C02. While sad, it was a relief to not worry about her anymore, and to know that she wasn't suffering.

I hope that you are able to make a good decision and everything goes okay. It's stressful dealing with sick animals.

Back
Top Bottom