Bloated chest in pullet- Sour crop??

Thank you for posting an update.

Cadbury is much too young for crop issues. Even pendulous crop is usually something older hens get. The bra should be assuring the crop is emptying overnight. I am going to assume you have adjusted it so the crop does empty.

This may mean she has something going on that is obstructing her digestive tract. This was the problem my hen Mabel had. I eventually had to euthanize her as no amount of crop treatments was working. She continued to starve due to lack of appetite, and there was no other alternative but to release her from her suffering.

I did a necropsy, a quick opening of the abdominal cavity to see if I could see what could have been behind her crop issues. I found a small tumor behind her crop. It's hard to say if it had any bearing on her problems.

If Cadbury continues to be able to have a normal life, there's no need to cull. But if she declines, loses her appetite, loses weight, becomes weak and indifferent to daily flock activity, then it would be time to end it for her.

I think her crop does mostly empty overnight, there's definitely a difference in size from morning to night. My plan is exactly as you suggest- continue to monitor her and euthanize when she starts to go downhill. Right now she seems quite healthy otherwise and is alert, happy, and eating with the others. I was worried she may get picked on but she's actually higher in the pecking order than most of the others! I do want to do a necropsy when she does eventually die/gets euthanized.

I was optimistic in my last update, but all good things must come to an end, sadly. Today I noticed that Cadbury was isolating herself a bit, seems to be gaping with her beak, and when I picked her up to check on her she vomited more sour smelling stuff. I've made the decision to cull, before she gets much worse.

A friend of a friend has agreed to cull for me, he regularly processes his own chickens so is quite experienced and comfortable culling. Tentatively scheduled for this Friday afternoon. He also agreed to do a rudimentary necropsy to try to find any underlying issues that may exist.

I'm sad but deep down know it's the right thing to do. I don't want her to suffer, and she's not getting better. Just hoping I don't talk myself out of this decision over the next couple of days. I'm going to miss this gorgeous girl :hitpix from today.

Attachments

• 20211102_120812.jpg
    20211102_120812.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211102_120741.jpg
    20211102_120741.jpg
    884.9 KB · Views: 2
This will be my final post on this thread, as Cadbury was humanely euthanized yesterday. I found a vet that could see her, and now I just wish I had known about this vet when this all started. On my request, he did a necropsy and found the cause- a ball of long grass in her crop. So she was impacted the whole time. Surgery early on likely could have resolved it. I feel awful like I let my girl down. But now I know for the future, and hind sight is 20/20. So RIP my beautiful Cadbury, I'm sorry I couldn't save you. :(

Im really sorry you lost your beautiful Cadbury; her spangled feathers were very unique (for an Easter Egger). You fought a hard battle to save her, & @azygous knows more about treating crop issues than probably anyone on this forum, so you had Azygous in your court helping you fight to cure Cadbury too.

I'm glad you have found a good avian vet to help with future chicken issues. Most people still dont have that luxury, which is why many come to BYC for help and advice. If it is any consolation to you, Cadbury's thread will help others better understand how to treat crop issues. While reading through her thread, i was sure hoping for a happy ending. Yes, beautiful Cadbury, Rest In Peace.

Back
Top Bottom