Bloated chicken?

I would not vomit him again. You risk aspiration.

I'm quite nervous about trying to make him vomit. Will it take a few days for the new size to help his crop empty completely?
Please do not vomit him.

I'm not understanding your question about the grit. IF the crop is not empty first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink, then begin treating the crop issue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Do you have a family member or neighbor that can help you with this?

The crop fills up during the day, and should normally be empty by early morning before eating and drinking. That is when to feel of the crop to check it. If you suspect a crop issue, here is a good article to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

You said he was being fed apples? Would that be with the cores? Apple seeds contain cyanide. I'm not sure how many he'd need to eat to have an effect, but would he have had access to the seeds? With him being unsteady on his feet, I'd worry about him getting ahold of something toxic or having a vitamin deficiency, not to mention his age being when many of the nastier poultry diseases can manifest.

Please do not vomit him.

I'm not understanding your question about the grit. IF the crop is not empty first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink, then begin treating the crop issue.

Do you have a family member or neighbor that can help you with this?
I read the article about massaging his crop and helping it empty. I thought it was the same thing as vomiting because I watched someone do it in a video and saw green stuff come up. I don't have anybody to help me with this, unfortunately. With the grit size, I thought maybe his crop isn't emptying because I wasn't giving him the proper size until Friday and was wondering if it would take a few days for the new size to help him empty his crop?

You said he was being fed apples? Would that be with the cores? Apple seeds contain cyanide. I'm not sure how many he'd need to eat to have an effect, but would he have had access to the seeds? With him being unsteady on his feet, I'd worry about him getting ahold of something toxic or having a vitamin deficiency, not to mention his age being when many of the nastier poultry diseases can manifest.
No cores.

Edit:
@Wyorp Rock
I plan on separating him tonight and bringing him indoors so I can treat him first thing in the morning if needed. If his crop does empty, what should post-treatment be like? I didn't see it mentioned in the article but some people have said to withhold water for 12 hours and food for 24 hours.. other people say to give them electrolytes, yogurt, fruits like watermelon, and grit after emptying the crop for one to two days, and check again the second day...

Last edited:
I read the article about massaging his crop and helping it empty. I thought it was the same thing as vomiting because I watched someone do it in a video and saw green stuff come up. I don't have anybody to help me with this, unfortunately. With the grit size, I thought maybe his crop isn't emptying because I wasn't giving him the proper size until Friday and was wondering if it would take a few days for the new size to help him empty his crop?

I didn't see it mentioned in the article but some people have said to withhold water for 12 hours and food for 24 hours.. other people say to give them electrolytes, yogurt, fruits like watermelon, and grit after emptying the crop for one to two days, and check again the second day..
Right. And you won't see that mentioned in the article for good reason. Never withhold water during waking hours.
Sometimes it may be necessary to withhold food, but only for a very short period of time.

IF the crop is empty that is good news. Feed him and the pullet chick starter free choice, give plain fresh water and make grit available free choice.

Right. And you won't see that mentioned in the article for good reason. Never withhold water during waking hours.
Sometimes it may be necessary to withhold food, but only for a very short period of time.

IF the crop is empty that is good news. Feed him and the pullet chick starter free choice, give plain fresh water and make grit available free choice.
Well, I checked last night and both of their crops were soft and squishy. I triple-checked this morning, and that same spot felt flat. I haven't dewormed them yet so maybe I'll try that next. Is it too soon since I just stopped their Corid treatment today? Do some breeds just tend to have weak legs? This is starting to look like a common issue after digging around a bit. I also wanted to mention that I did notice where they were sleeping, it smelled a bit like fresh urine. Is this normal? I gave them fresh shavings on Friday.

Last edited:
Well, I checked last night and both of their crops were soft and squishy. I triple-checked this morning, and that same spot felt flat. I haven't dewormed them yet so maybe I'll try that next. Is it too soon since I just stopped their Corid treatment today? Do some breeds just tend to have weak legs? This is starting to look like a common issue after digging around a bit. I also wanted to mention that I did notice where they were sleeping, it smelled a bit like fresh urine. Is this normal? I gave them fresh shavings on Friday.
You may need to clean out the bedding more often if the coop has a smell. How much ventilation does it have?

Since you've finished the Corid, then I would start them both on some vitamins. Poultry Cell is a good choice or you can give each bird 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day. See if that helps.

You may need to clean out the bedding more often if the coop has a smell. How much ventilation does it have?

Since you've finished the Corid, then I would start them both on some vitamins. Poultry Cell is a good choice or you can give each bird 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day. See if that helps.
We have a window on each side and I leave their door open every day. I wanted to try the deep litter method but it seems like they dig up the shavings pretty often and mix the new shavings with the old ones.

I will try Poultry Cell next and give an update if I see any. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom