Randomhumanbeing

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
Hi! Recently my 3 years old Khaki Campbell duck looked a bit bloated or fat. I first thought she was fat, so I took away her treats and only left her normal meal (Usually a mix of corn and a pro-vita feed). I read some threads here about water belly, but hers doesn't feel squishy or watery, nor extremely hard, it's more like an in-between those two (squishy and hard), leaning more to the hard side. I didn't want to hurt her, so I didn't use much force to actually feel an egg or something in there (she's my main egg layer).

She's been acting completely normal. Energetic, swimming in her pool, grassing on weeds, eating, drinking, and pooping normally. So far, the only unusual thing she did was that before she got like this (aka bloated) or in the process of getting like this, she actually laid 3 eggs in a day. I know it was her because the other two females are from different breeds and their egg colors are different.

I managed to take some pictures of her posture.
1664913912405.png
1664913969433.png

Another thing is that she ripped out a few feathers of her underbelly (between her legs) and it looks sort of yellowish (that's where the hard x squishy part is, but I couldn't take a clear picture of that side because she didn't let me grab her again.

this is the area where she ripped them:
1664914021076.png

She looks very similar to one of my Runners that has what I think is ascites she is acting normal also but it is the only thing I can think of it can be. Only thing I am doing is using dried greek oregano and Vit C powder since I read this has been used on meat birds with this. I haven't an avian vet anywhere around here . If you know of one and can afford maybe have a vet look at her.

Hi! Recently my 3 years old Khaki Campbell duck looked a bit bloated or fat. I first thought she was fat, so I took away her treats and only left her normal meal (Usually a mix of corn and a pro-vita feed). I read some threads here about water belly, but hers doesn't feel squishy or watery, nor extremely hard, it's more like an in-between those two (squishy and hard), leaning more to the hard side. I didn't want to hurt her, so I didn't use much force to actually feel an egg or something in there (she's my main egg layer).

She's been acting completely normal. Energetic, swimming in her pool, grassing on weeds, eating, drinking, and pooping normally. So far, the only unusual thing she did was that before she got like this (aka bloated) or in the process of getting like this, she actually laid 3 eggs in a day. I know it was her because the other two females are from different breeds and their egg colors are different.

I managed to take some pictures of her posture.
View attachment 3280825 View attachment 3280828

Another thing is that she ripped out a few feathers of her underbelly (between her legs) and it looks sort of yellowish (that's where the hard x squishy part is, but I couldn't take a clear picture of that side because she didn't let me grab her again.

this is the area where she ripped them:
View attachment 3280829
I have a Pekin with the same problem

Considering from all I’ve read it’s meat birds that have this problem. More so than other ducks and chickens. I am a V bit confused as to why it’s my Runners since I wouldn’t consider them meat birds. But I have been using the dried Greek oregano and vit c crystals and haven’t noticed any change although it’s only been a couple weeks. Neither Runner is in distress so I am hoping this V natural remedy will help them.

Back
Top Bottom