BLOATED LEGHORN HEN

I can get a picture of her in the morning. It's 12am here in Massachusetts lol!!
Best pictures I could get, but I am leaning towards egg bound simply because she looks like she's is trying to push something out of her but can't.

Attachments

• 20230515_082830.jpg
    20230515_082830.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230515_082732.jpg
    20230515_082732.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
I'd get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day, like I suggested. It'll help her pass an egg if that's the case.
I examined her and I couldn't feel an egg at all. I soaked her in a warm bath and gently massaged her vent area. She pooped a bit, but no egg. I have calcium citrate with D3 I can give her, but am not sure if its a egg issue now. As for bloating, apparently all the leg horns have the same body type, so I don't think that's it either. She is eating and drinking, not a lot, but she's trying. I can't wait till my daughter is a vet specializing in birds lol!

I examined her and I couldn't feel an egg at all. I soaked her in a warm bath and gently massaged her vent area. She pooped a bit, but no egg. I have calcium citrate with D3 I can give her, but am not sure if its a egg issue now. As for bloating, apparently all the leg horns have the same body type, so I don't think that's it either. She is eating and drinking, not a lot, but she's trying. I can't wait till my daughter is a vet specializing in birds lol!
I'm gonna tag the experts.

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Feel the abdomen. Does it feel more like fat (solid) or fluid (water balloon)? Is the swelling predominantly in front of and between the legs or most in the back of the legs and under the vent?

The fluid coming from her vent is one clue she
s egg bound. Push your hand against her vent. Does it make her squat to do so?

Keep her hydrated and calm. It's all pointing to egg binding.

Feel the abdomen. Does it feel more like fat (solid) or fluid (water balloon)? Is the swelling predominantly in front of and between the legs or most in the back of the legs and under the vent?

It feels solid not like there is water in it. Going to try and attach better pictures.

Back
Top Bottom