block nesting boxes at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gram28, Oct 20, 2009.

1. gram28

gram28 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Hudson WI
    I just got 3 banty orphie pullets a week ago and they have taken to roosting in the nesting boxes at night. I was wondering if I could block the entrance to the boxes at night so they will roost on the roosts. I have 3 standard pulets that never lay at night so the boxes are not really in use then. Kind of a behavior mod thing!

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    I have had the same problem off and on. We have 2 nest boxes that I found two boxes that fit into them. Just before dark we put the cardboard boxes into the nest boxes and take them out in the morning. Works great.

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I woutd do. Once they get used to using the roost you can stop blocking the nestboxes.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Thats what I have taken to doing to convince my araucanas to go to the roost. Last night was the first time I tried and only 5 birds figured a weakness in my system. I am about to lock them in for the night and hopefully all my birds are in the roost. Actually after I lock them up, I remove the wire I have blocking, just in case a hen wants to give me a real early egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by