Blocked crop

Kristy1112

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2021
My hen has a blocked crop...plz what can I do I've given her olive oil and massaged her crop. I watched a YouTube video where it says I can massage it break it up and turn her upside down for a minute and then bring her back up so she can breathe and keep repeating that until she brings it up I hoping somebody here can help me a little more with that I'm scared that I'll hurt her

How old is your hen? Do you know when she last laid? Have you ever had a fecal done to check for internal parasites, or wormed your birds?
Crop problems can be from too much fiberous material in the crop that can't pass, or they can be a symptom of another issue farther down in the digestive tract. Here are a couple of articles that have a lot of information to help narrow it down. I don't vomit birds, the risk of aspiration is too great, especially if you don't know what you're doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

My hen has a blocked crop...plz what can I do I've given her olive oil and massaged her crop. I watched a YouTube video where it says I can massage it break it up and turn her upside down for a minute and then bring her back up so she can breathe and keep repeating that until she brings it up I hoping somebody here can help me a little more with that I'm scared that I'll hurt her
Hi, done this quite a few times, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. However its worth a go - Just dont overdo the time "upside" down, she needs to breathe. Gets rid of all the muck inside. Found that sugar/water/SMALL dissolved aspirin amount helps. She wont be hurt, just a little uncomfortable. Good luck. (think 3/5 of mine made it!).

Ty...I'm gonna give it a go.. also after reading so many things she has a low crop which is pendulous crop I am suspecting anyways I'm going to try to make her a crop bra which should help too cuz that could possibly be the problem I just hate all this guessing and the only reason why I'm guessing is because my vet can't get her in right now I live in Washington State in the city of Vancouver and all of our veterinarians are completely booked out even the animal hospitals so I got to try to figure this out on my own which is extremely nerve-racking

How old is your hen? Do you know when she last laid? Have you ever had a fecal done to check for internal parasites, or wormed your birds?
Crop problems can be from too much fiberous material in the crop that can't pass, or they can be a symptom of another issue farther down in the digestive tract. Here are a couple of articles that have a lot of information to help narrow it down. I don't vomit birds, the risk of aspiration is too great, especially if you don't know what you're doing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
So my hen was hatched 03/04/2020 about a year and a half and she laid yesterday and her egg was really nice strong looked really good shell color everything like I said in the post above I was wondering after everything that I read if it couldn't be pendulous crop because it's hanging really low and naive me thinking that she just ate a bunch and it was cuz she's a bigger bird that that's how it was supposed to be and I hate to be learning lessons like this family friends everybody has raised chickens I have not I've only been around them and I wanted birds so bad so I got three chicks and now I'm having this situation and I called my vet I called the animal hospital here in Vancouver Washington there is no new intakes my vet now since the pandemic is first come first serve on walk-in bases I guess is what they were telling me so I start calling at 7:00 in the morning and didn't get appointment and I finally got through to a different clinic from our animal hospital here that I called and they said that they can get her in August 9th and right now I'm on a list to be the first person called if somebody cancels and I was talking to that the lady and I'm like what does anybody do if there's a damn emergency I consider this an emergency there's nothing that we can do everything is booked up and booked out so just frustrating

Does the crop feel soft, squishy, full of fluid, very hard, etc? If it's pendulous, then a crop bra may help. They can be finicky to get on, so many readjustments may be necessary to get it on properly. Monitor the bird, feet can get hung up etc, while they are getting used to it. Don't put it on too tight at first, you don't want to force stuff up. Check regularly and tighten the fit gradually as the crop goes down, until it's normal. If there is a hard mass in the crop then giving fluids and coconut oil frequently and doing crop massage every time may help it to break up so it can pass.

Does the crop feel soft, squishy, full of fluid, very hard, etc? If it's pendulous, then a crop bra may help. They can be finicky to get on, so many readjustments may be necessary to get it on properly. Monitor the bird, feet can get hung up etc, while they are getting used to it. Don't put it on too tight at first, you don't want to force stuff up. Check regularly and tighten the fit gradually as the crop goes down, until it's normal. If there is a hard mass in the crop then giving fluids and coconut oil frequently and doing crop massage every time may help it to break up so it can pass.
Thanks so much for replying back to me I did get the crop support but the one I got is too big and I had her in a kennel in my room with me last night when I put it on for the first time last night anyways I was looking on here and there was a gal that made a good one out of a sock and I'm wondering maybe that would work I should have read the replies when I got it off Amazon prime the the crop support because it didn't have good reviews it was too big for everybody's bird would you know how to make one out of an athletic sock and explain it to me she hasn't got back to me yet I was going to give her some time to reply cuz I just texted her I just I can't lose my hen

Sorry I didn't answer that part of it yes it does feel soft and squishy and then it'll go back to firm but it never empties by morning

I've never made mine out of a sock. I use canvas, cut in about a 5 or 6 inch square, sew ties on two sides, full length with the ends hanging off the top and bottom, left long until I've fit it. You can adjust the size of the square to what fits your bird best, smaller or larger. I put them on with the ties going parallel to the birds body, rather than accross, seems to work better for me that way. Tie one set in front of the wings and one set in back of the wings. I find that making them a bit larger makes them easier to fit and keep on properly. Mine look very similar to the one pictured in the second link I gave you before. I have cotton twill ribbon that I use for ties, and I sew it on for durability. It doesn't really matter what you use as long as it stays in place, supports the crop, and doesn't interfere with their normal activities. Some birds tolerate them very well, some don't. They may walk backwards, fall over on their back, etc while getting used to the idea, so monitor so she doesn't hurt herself. I had one bird that wore one for about 2 years. You do have to check regularly to make sure they are not rubbing or causing irritation, and under the bra can be a good place for mites/lice to hide, so checking for that too.

Ohbt
I've never made mine out of a sock. I use canvas, cut in about a 5 or 6 inch square, sew ties on two sides, full length with the ends hanging off the top and bottom, left long until I've fit it. You can adjust the size of the square to what fits your bird best, smaller or larger. I put them on with the ties going parallel to the birds body, rather than accross, seems to work better for me that way. Tie one set in front of the wings and one set in back of the wings. I find that making them a bit larger makes them easier to fit and keep on properly. Mine look very similar to the one pictured in the second link I gave you before. I have cotton twill ribbon that I use for ties, and I sew it on for durability. It doesn't really matter what you use as long as it stays in place, supports the crop, and doesn't interfere with their normal activities. Some birds tolerate them very well, some don't. They may walk backwards, fall over on their back, etc while getting used to the idea, so monitor so she doesn't hurt herself. I had one bird that wore one for about 2 years. You do have to check regularly to make sure they are not rubbing or causing irritation, and under the bra can be a good place for mites/lice to hide, so checking for that too.
Oh ty....I will try that if the one I bought doesn't work the second time around I had to modify the piece that goes around her neck I just cut the elastic and made it a little bit smaller so it holds it up more that's the problem I was having so now I'm going to try it and I will send a picture if I can figure that out thank you for your reply

Back
Top Bottom