Blocked nare

emig93

Hatching
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Hello,

I have a leghorn bantam who has one totally blocked nare. The last few days she has been acting slightly lethargic, although she still drink and eats. She has been having laying problems for a while now, but has overcome them. This last time I have reason to believe that the egg did not have a shell and thus she could not pass it.

I placed her partially in warm water and massaged the area and some of the egg seemed to come out (soft shelled).

This morning I checked on her and she seemed to be doing a lot better. She is no longer hunched over as if she has to lay an egg, and she is acting almost normal.

I'm picking up antibiotics today because her clogged nare causes me to believe that maybe she also has some respiratory infection going on.

The problem is that since she is a leghorn bantam, her nare is very small and slim. I know you can loosen the area and get the blockage out but it's very difficult because even though it's swollen, the area is still very tiny. I have tried to soften it and remove it but I'm having no luck. It doesn't help that the blockage is more inwards and hard to get at.

So the problem is that she cannot breath properly, my question is has anyone here cleared a slimmer nare? And how did you do so?

(And as a side note question- could her egg laying issues be caused by a lack of calcium or simply because of age?)

Back
Top Bottom