Blocked nostril? Or something else??

ChickenMommy83

Chirping
Aug 31, 2017
Hey all,

I've got a lethargic chicken, standing around by herself with her eyes closed. Brought her in to get a better look, her crop felt pretty hard and I thought maybe it was impacted so I have a couple drops of vegetable oil and massaged it. While sitting here holding her I can hear a wheezy loud breathing sound and upon inspection, it looks like maybe a nostril might be blocked? She seems to have a raised bump up above it close to her comb (see pic). What do you think and what can I do? Any other thoughts if something else may be going on? FYI she's approx 5-6 months old.
IMG_8469.JPG

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It looks like she has nasal secretions, so the blocked nostril is probably due to the secretions and perhaps some feed mixed in to cause obstruction. I would put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide on a QTip and soak her nostril for a few minutes. Take a toothpick or a feather shaft, and try to gently open the nostril with a little scraping. It may take a few sessions to get it open.

I would concerned that she has a respiratory disease that has caused her symptoms. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, and ILT are the common ones. Here is a link to read about those diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Saaniya

Crowing
Aug 31, 2017
New Delhi India
It looks like she has nasal secretions, so the blocked nostril is probably due to the secretions and perhaps some feed mixed in to cause obstruction. I would put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide on a QTip and soak her nostril for a few minutes. Take a toothpick or a feather shaft, and try to gently open the nostril with a little scraping. It may take a few sessions to get it open.

I would concerned that she has a respiratory disease that has caused her symptoms. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, and ILT are the common ones. Here is a link to read about those diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Yes right

Top Bottom