Blonde chick from mottled mom?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pbjmaker, Jan 29, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    This chick hatched last night and I am 99.9% sure its mom is my black motled serama. The papa choices are: Mille fleur d'uccle, porcelain d'uccle or golden lakenvelder. Since it has feathered legs I am assuming the GL is out. Soooooo how come it's blonde? There is a slim to none chance that my white showgirl caught her - but I haven't really seen him try to mate much yet.

[​IMG]

For size comparison (my confirmation that the serama is the mom - the other chick is a banty)

[​IMG]

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh! Well, it sure is a cutie, whoever it's daddy is! It needs to hurry up and mature so we can figure this out!!!!!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Count toes. If more than 8 your silkie may be responsible [​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Did that - 4 toes on each foot and only light leg feathering. My showgirl is not a go getter and is just trying to crow, that's why I didn't think it was him.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We hatched a chick who had four toes, Daddy had five. (Sultan roo)

Not sure. Cute peep, though! [​IMG]

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Since seremas do not have a standard for color, there's a huge mess of color genes floating around within the breed. The mother likely was not a black bird with just mottled genes, but rather having many additional genes that contributed to the color of the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by