Blonde in chickens

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by gawildlife, Nov 4, 2014.

1. gawildlife

gawildlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Hampton, GA
    This is my first post on byc. There is one color that has always fascinated me and my limited study doesn't give me any idea how blond shows up. I remember an EE cock from my youth that was a pretty good bird for a hatchery mutt and I recently spotted a pic on this site of a similar colored bird.
    I'm posting two pics. The first is off the net of an old McMurray catalog cover that is the spitting image of the old EE. The second is some sort of penesdesenca in Spain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I assume sort sort of pyle or duckwing on a dominant white with leakage?

Can anyone help me understand the background colors to come up with blonde and if it can be bred for?

Possibly black tailed red X dominant white?

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you can get a similar colored bird to the bottom image if you cross light and buff Brahmas.

I'd be inclined to call the color of the top bird Lemon Blue or Blue Golden Duckwing, but somebody else can confirm or correct me.

Blue Golden Duckwing Old English Game bantam from Ideal catalog:
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure somebody else can better help with how to breed for or maintain these colors. However, I find the chicken calculator to be a wonderful tool to at least get a general grasp of how basic color genetics work together.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Those roosters look columbian (Co) and either diluted gold or heterozygous silver (S/s+).
    The 2nd one looks diluted gold, I had a similar color based on a recessive gold diluter like lemon/cream ig/ig.

4. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    The Bird in question is a Columbian pattern, likely carrying both Silver and Gold (Red) on Z. I had very similar males for years in my Columbian OE and Rosecomb when using Wheaton or BB Red to improve type.

5. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    That is a Blue Golden Duckwing in the artists drawing, they are a cross and carry both Silver and Gold (red) they do not breed true with certain exceptions where Cream (ig) is brought in but in those instances the females no longer meet the description of the standard.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    the Bird he posted its actually how would a Cream Columbian Male would look like(spanish breed) that breeds true to type..

now that phenotype can be Easily be created by crossing Red Columbian male with a Silver Columbian Pullet, essentialy a sexlinked male that nobody seem to care fore but are produce everytime a sexlinked cross is produced..

here a "Golden" Black Laced Wyandotte(cross between Gold Laced Wyandotte Rooster with a Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster)

[​IMG]

now a cross between a Rhode Island Red Male over a Delaware Hen..

[​IMG]

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I hope you can see the picture. Is this what they are calling blonde? Is this really cream?

8. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Here is another shot.

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
  10. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thank you Nicalandia. I didn't think it was actual cream but just wanted to know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by