blood in chicks poop.. please help..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roooisin, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Roooisin

Roooisin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    i have 4 chicks, 3 are 5 weeks old and one is 2 weeks old.. there is blood in one of their poop.. i know i'm kind of freaking out but is this normal? is it a disease? what do i do? please help.. they have all been eating normally and drinking plenty of water. they are all behaving normally and none of them look sick in any way.. they began free ranging about 2 days ago.. i hope this info helps..

2. thechickielady

thechickielady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Hello!

My guess is that one of them may have worms. Since they started free ranging they might have wandered and ate something that gave them worms. Try checking the poo for worms. You can always give them apple cider vineager and see if that does the trick. Just put 1 tbs of it per gallon of water and the acidity kills the worms. If you still have bloody poo you may have worms that can withstand the acidity and may need to get an actually wormer for them.

I really hope this works for you! Good luck to you and your chickies!

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    With blood in the droppings, I'd be very worried about coccidosis. Search this forum for more information and see if any other symptoms are present. If it is cocci, it needs quick treatment.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by