blood in poo

Thanks for your help. I believe it must be sulphamethazine (Sulmet) that they have at the feed store. I'll pick some up and have a go at it tonight.

Thanks again.

Yay Chicks! :

Quote:
Amprollium is the ingredient in medicated chick feed, however, it is not what you use to treat Cocci once they have it. Good guess, though...

According to that pdf from the MD Cooperative Extension, Amprollium is the ingredient in Corid which is one of the meds used to treat outbreaks. It is my understanding that it doesn't keep them from getting Coccidiosis, but helps them survive the outbreak so they can build a natural immunity. Feeding it in a medicated feed would ensure they have the medication when they are exposed and, if the MD Cooperative Extension is correct, it is effective during exposure, as well.​

Last edited:
Yay Chicks! :

Quote:
Amprollium is the ingredient in medicated chick feed, however, it is not what you use to treat Cocci once they have it. Good guess, though...

Corid = Amprolium

http://www.drugs.com/vet/corid-9-6-oral-solution.html

The amprolium in medicated feed is at a low dosage. When you give them Corid to treat them, you give a lot more.​

Last edited:
Quote:

According to that pdf from the MD Cooperative Extension, Amprollium is the ingredient in Corid which is one of the meds used to treat outbreaks. It is my understanding that it doesn't keep them from getting Coccidiosis, but helps them survive the outbreak so they can build a natural immunity. Feeding it in a medicated feed would ensure they have the medication when they are exposed and, if the MD Cooperative Extension is correct, it is effective during exposure, as well.

Thank you.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I did pick up some sodium sulphamethazine, but I haven't administered anything yet. I haven't seen a bloody poo since and I've been watching the chicks closely. They all seem to be acting normal, everyone is eating, etc.

Perhaps it was a touch dehydrated or perhaps an earthworm didn't sit well with one of them.

Back
Top Bottom