Blood in poop of 8 w/o chick

homesteader824

Chirping
Jun 1, 2015
Missouri Ozarks
I have three buff orpington chicks that just turned 8 weeks old. They seem to be acting healthy but this morning in their brooder box there was two places where dropping had blood in them. Sorry, no pictures. I got these as day-old chicks from Orscheln Farm Supply.

They have been stressed the last week. The original pen I had them in had the problem of my dog digging under the fence. I knew it was early, but I moved them in with my other hens (all over a year old). I didn't think there was much bullying, but the chicks were scared and hid behind the nest boxes. So now I have them in a pet carrier in the outdoor pen with the other hens, and have them segregated by a chicken wire fence I put up. They now have a little run area of their own that they are using.

I got these from a big farm supply place; I thought they were treated for coccidosis but I don't know for sure. They were started on medicated starter, but have been on non-medicated starter/grower for about three weeks now.

What should I be doing for them? Do I need to worry about my hens on the other side of the fence? I have some Rooster Booster wormer, should I give them some in their feed or are they too young? The package doesn't specify ages.

There are different strains of coccidiosis, and their immunity may not be built up yet (I have been dealing with several cases this year and have lost 3 chicks to it of varying ages, and maybe a 4th). I would start them on a treatment of Corid promptly.

Last edited:
Yes! Get them on Corid as soon as possible! This can be found in Tractor Supply.
IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

there was two places where dropping had blood in them. They have been stressed the last week.
I got these from a big farm supply place; I thought they were treated for coccidosis but I don't know for sure. They were started on medicated starter, but have been on non-medicated starter/grower for about three weeks now.

What should I be doing for them? Do I need to worry about my hens on the other side of the fence? I have some Rooster Booster wormer, should I give them some in their feed or are they too young? The package doesn't specify ages.

If you see blood in the stool, then you will want to treat for Coccidiosis. You need a Coccidiostat like Corid (Amprolium) to treat. Coccidia are protozoa so a dewormer will not treat them. I would not give them the rooster booster wormer, don't add any additional vitamins to their water or feed while giving the Corid either.
You can find Corid in the Cattle section of Tractor Supply. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Most chicks are not vaccinated for Coccidia and the vaccine would only cover certain strains to begin with. There are 9 strains that chickens can have. Coccidia is found in the poop and soil so it's always in their environment. Chickens will usually become resistant to the strain(s) that they come into contact with on a daily basis. An overload is when they get into trouble. Likely the stress of moving and being exposed to possible different strain(s) in the "new" pen caused some upset.

upload_2019-6-19_10-59-27.png
upload_2019-6-19_10-59-36.png

Just wanted to add, that IF the chicks had been vaccinated for coccidiosis then giving them medicated feed would negate that vaccine. Corid (amprolium) is very safe, so I would absolutely treat. They can go from seeming fine to very sick or dead in a very short time, some strains are more virulent than others.

Back
Top Bottom