Blood in poop question. Can my ducks catch cocci from chickens?

ChickenDad37

Hatching
Jul 24, 2019
I have 4 chickens that are 14 weeks old. This morning, There was a splatter poop with blood on the ramp into the coop.

There was also bloody splatter under the roosting bar they sleep on.

I went to TSC and bought some corid. Just mixed it into the water: 2 teaspoons into a gallon of water. I plan to give this to them for a week.

2 questions:

1. Is this probably cocci? I was wondering as most cases seemed to impact younger chickens.

2. I have 2 ducks in a separate run. Can they catch cocci from the chickens? Should I treat the ducks also? Should I keep the chickens separate from the ducks while treating? (I usually allow them all out together for a few hours each day).

I have 4 chickens that are 14 weeks old. This morning, There was a splatter poop with blood on the ramp into the coop.

There was also bloody splatter under the roosting bar they sleep on.

I went to TSC and bought some corid. Just mixed it into the water: 2 teaspoons into a gallon of water. I plan to give this to them for a week.

2 questions:

1. Is this probably cocci? I was wondering as most cases seemed to impact younger chickens.

2. I have 2 ducks in a separate run. Can they catch cocci from the chickens? Should I treat the ducks also? Should I keep the chickens separate from the ducks while treating? (I usually allow them all out together for a few hours each day).
Can you post some photos of the poop?
Since you have the ducks separated, then it's probably isn't necessary to treat them...but...if the chicks have access to the ducks water for drinking, then I would either block that off or put Corid water in that station until treatment is finished.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Attachments

• 4984CE79-9933-4656-A572-022F98D03C22.png
    4984CE79-9933-4656-A572-022F98D03C22.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
Can they catch cocci from the chickens?
No, ducks get a different type of coccidiosis.

Ducks:
A large number of specific coccidia have been reported in both wild and domestic ducks, but validity of some of the descriptions is questionable. Presence of Eimeria, Wenyonella, and Tyzzeria spp has been confirmed. T perniciosa is a known pathogen that balloons the entire small intestine with mucohemorrhagic or caseous material. Eimeria spp also have been described as pathogenic. Some species of coccidia of domestic ducks are considered relatively nonpathogenic. In wild ducks, infrequent but dramatic outbreaks of coccidiosis occur in ducklings 2–4 wk old; morbidity and mortality may be high
Source: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Last edited:
Since you have the ducks separated, then it's probably isn't necessary to treat them...but...if the chicks have access to the ducks water for drinking, then I would either block that off or put Corid water in that station until treatment is finished.
I agree.

I can keep the chickens away from the duck’s water. Here is a picture of the poop.
That's quite a blood spatter!

IN ADDITION to making the mixed Corid solution for drinking (make sure they are drinking). I would direct drench each chick with straight liquid Corid - 0.10 ml per pound of weight given orally for 3 days.

The Corid water should be the only source of water for them to drink. Don't add any extra vitamins/electrolytes to their water or feed until you finish the course of treatment.

Update:

I gave the chickens an oral dose of corid each day for 3 days in addition to medicating their water. Blood was minimal on day 2 and gone on day 3.

Today is day 4 and I’ll continue to medicate their water for a few more days.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom