Blood in poop

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
I found two bloody stools in my meat bird pen. It’s cold and wet today and I can’t tell from the birds if anyone is exhibiting symptoms, they’re all fluffed up. Does this look like a normal shed or not? There’s 60 birds in 150 sf of space and they get let out daily for a few hours right now, 4 weeks old.

A026BCAC-55C3-4B2F-86DB-486FCF391D7A.jpeg

3CBFE985-5806-40CC-AD41-CCFB69D827C2.jpeg

They have an overload of coccidia oocysts and have developed coccidiosis.
You need to get some Corid(amprolium) or other coccidiostat immediately. When they shed blood and are fluffed up, losses are imminent.
The protozoa doccidia are everywhere in the world in soil. If bedding isn't bone dry, they will reproduce there and overload the chickens' gut.

You could easily have brought the protozoa or its oocysts in on your shoes. It can be brought in on feeders, water founts and many other pieces of equipment.
Your adult flock has long ago developed resistance. The reason chicks are so vulnerable is that the first time they've been exposed, they haven't had an opportunity to develop resistance.
I know some people will put a piece of garden soil in their brooders to give slight exposure. That may be of some help. There are 7 species of coccidia (eimeria) that affect chickens, 5 that affect turkeys and one species in ducks. Not all species are in every environment. Should your or anyone's birds that have resistance to the species on a property be sold and move to a property with a different species, that is when adults can be affected by an outbreak of coccidiosis. As long as they are responding to the Corid, you are probably out of the woods and can continue to allow them to forage.
Not to nitpick but another point I'd like to clarify is that the pathogen causing coccidiosis is the protozoa coccidia, not cocci. Cocci is any spherical shaped microorganism - usually bacteria.

They have an overload of coccidia oocysts and have developed coccidiosis.
You need to get some Corid(amprolium) or other coccidiostat immediately. When they shed blood and are fluffed up, losses are imminent.
The protozoa doccidia are everywhere in the world in soil. If bedding isn't bone dry, they will reproduce there and overload the chickens' gut.
On it. I’ve already started cleaning out the entire coop and replacing bedding and I keep corrid on hand, does it expire? I’ve never had to use it.

the coop is really clean but we had a heat spell and some rain I’m wondering if they picked it up going outside this week.

On it. I’ve already started cleaning out the entire coop and replacing bedding and I keep corrid on hand, does it expire? I’ve never had to use it.

the coop is really clean but we had a heat spell and some rain I’m wondering if they picked it up going outside this week.
It does expire but is probably good for 3 years from manufacture. The expiration date will be on the bottle.
They picked up a few oocysts from the ground and then pooped some into the bedding and from there they exploded.

You can also give the undiluted
Corid liquid 0.1 ml per pound twice a day for a couple of days to any that look weak or sick. That is pretty bloody poop, not intestinal shedding.
I’ve cleaned out the entire coop and have them in a smaller dry pen for the day while I work. That was fun. Moving 60 birds one by one because they’re past the age of sticking in a rubbermade tote for transport.

I cannot find any other red poop in the entire coop area so that’s hopefully a plus. As I mentioned it’s been in the 70s for a few weeks and today is rainy and 48, so they all are a little fluffy. I’ve tried to watch and inspect each one, and I cannot identify who may be sick. I checked each butt for red droppings as I moved them and nothing. They’re all active and they all certainly ran as fast as they could from me.:barniei use moveable perches and I’m going to take them all out and disinfect tbem today but they’ll be perchless tonight because I can’t get them in the sun to dry.

the pen they are in is actually a concrete horse wash stall, so I’m hopeful I can get the explosion under control rapidly be removing everything and going in completely fresh with everything.

thanks for the comments from all. After I get through today I will have a few questions as this is the first time I’ve treated and handled something in such a large number of birds and want to make sure I move forward correctly. BYCers are the best.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom