Blood in poop

TriciaTKB

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
I have a 2 year old sapphire gem hen
She had been laying faithfully all winter, but started a very late molt a few weeks ago. Losing a lot of feathers but new quills can be seen growing in. She stopped laying two weeks ago.
11 days ago I noticed a little bit of blood in her poop.
I treated all 14 hens with Corid 2 tsp per gallon for 7 days.
She still had a little blood every once in a while, so I treated just her .3ml by syringe for 3 days. (Yesterday was the 3rd day)
This morning I went out and still saw blood.
Sometimes it’s blood like in the pictures and sometimes it’s been little round jelly-looking balls.
I clean my coop every morning. I use sand so it’s easy to scoop it all out and I know exactly who is pooping what out. No other hens have been pooping blood.
I have ordered Safe-guard aqua sol just in case it might be worms even though I haven’t seen any. It arrives today. Help!!! Not sure what to do next.

Attachments

• BB8BD8D3-AB10-4CE2-AC8B-AA4B131748D5.jpeg
    BB8BD8D3-AB10-4CE2-AC8B-AA4B131748D5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 64756FBD-615D-4BEA-AA5A-4E91EB7525A6.jpeg
    64756FBD-615D-4BEA-AA5A-4E91EB7525A6.jpeg
    739.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 481468D3-70C6-450D-84B5-D765B00F46A0.jpeg
    481468D3-70C6-450D-84B5-D765B00F46A0.jpeg
    995 KB · Views: 6
SafeGuard Aquasol which is very expensive, will only treat roundworms, if my memory serves me. It can go in the water and there is no egg withdrawal time. I am not very good with a dosage. However I would chose to treat with Valbazen orally 1/2 ml given once, and later in 10 days repeat that. That would treat roundworms, capillary, gapeworms, and cecal worms. You could also use the SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days. But you could save a bit of money and time, if you could talk your vet into letting you bring in some fresh droppings and looking at a fecal float. Maybe take a dog or cat in for shots, and ask for a favor. Also ask if they can look for bacteria or fungus in the sample.

SafeGuard Aquasol which is very expensive, will only treat roundworms, if my memory serves me. It can go in the water and there is no egg withdrawal time. I am not very good with a dosage. However I would chose to treat with Valbazen orally 1/2 ml given once, and later in 10 days repeat that. That would treat roundworms, capillary, gapeworms, and cecal worms. You could also use the SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days. But you could save a bit of money and time, if you could talk your vet into letting you bring in some fresh droppings and looking at a fecal float. Maybe take a dog or cat in for shots, and ask for a favor. Also ask if they can look for bacteria or fungus in the sample.
I am at the vet now and he is testing the fecal sample.

It is great that you got the diagnosis. What medication did they give? Did the vet give you fenbendazole (SafeGuard) or albendazole (Valbazen?) What dosage? There is a fenbendazole capsule for sale called Poultry Dewormer that has too little of a dosage of the drug to treat capillary worms. It is hard to beat the Valbazen or SafeGuard 10% for capillary worms, but the dosage should be given for weight and a number of consecutive days.

It is great that you got the diagnosis. What medication did they give? Did the vet give you fenbendazole (SafeGuard) or albendazole (Valbazen?) What dosage? There is a fenbendazole capsule for sale called Poultry Dewormer that has too little of a dosage of the drug to treat capillary worms. It is hard to beat the Valbazen or SafeGuard 10% for capillary worms, but the dosage should be given for weight and a number of consecutive days.
fenbendazole 100mg/ml
.4ml by mouth once a day for 5 days

How much do the chickens weigh? That is the same a SafeGuard Liquid goat wormer 10% fenbendazole— 100 mg per ml. The dosage most of us recommend is 0.23 ml or almost 1/4 ml per pound daily for 5 days. I might go ahead and worm the other chickens too at some point.
https://www.amazon.com/Merck-Safegu...zzQGxR-CtQIXmr2cO5XMwVG23HxI93RRoC2kkQAvD_BwE
If I treat the whole flock, should I not consume eggs during treatment? If not, how long after treating until eggs can be eaten?

Yes, there is a 14 day egg withdrawal with most wormers including SafeGuard/fenbendazole. When using the SafeGuard Aquasol, the weaker form that only treats round worms, there is no egg withdrawal. So, if you treat the one hen with the stronger dose, you could just use the Aquasol on the others. Just remember that it won’t treat capillary worms. It might be worth a call to your vet to see what they think. Some people ignore egg withdrawal times with routine worming. I think that @azygous actually has a thread about her experiment with not using an egg withdrawal with SafeGuard.

Back
Top Bottom