Blood in the brooder! help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Songster

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    For a few days there has been blood all over the brooder. I cleaned it all up today and sat and watched from a distance for an hour! Nothing! I left for a few hours and came back. The brooder was bloody again with two dead chicks. Neither were injured at all. there is no agression at all and I know the blood isn't from droppings? What could this thing be that is so fatal? Can I treat it?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Oh no, that's sad. I hope we find an answer for this.

3. pipermark

pipermark Songster

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Do you have sand or any other form of dirt in the brooder?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ok. Bloody chicks, but no pecking injury. Are you sure the blood is not in the poo? Because if there is blood in the stools that is a classic sign of a cocci infection. Are they on medicated feed? Are they listless or cherpy? If the blood is in the stools, go out and get amprol NOW and treat them per bottle instuctions. Cocci is a very fast killer. But, if it is not in the poo, and you said it was a few days, is anything getting into the brooder? How much blood? Can you find the source of it? Good luck.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Check on the pads of their feet...sometimes if they are on wire floors, they do get cuts on them.....

If it is bloody poop, then its BAAAAAD! Get some Cocci meds for them ASAP! I had that once with some newly hatched chicks from Ideal and within the hour I got them, holy moly, but at least I had meds for them on hand. They came out of it....sterilize the brooder as you treat them...nasty stuff if you ask me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by