1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blood inside egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GardenGnome, Apr 6, 2011.

1. GardenGnome

GardenGnome Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Oley, PA
    My 2-year-old hen laid an egg with a bloody streaky inside the egg and a blood-tinged egg white. We're not talking about little red spots; this was a streak that was about 1.5 to 2 inches long. The outside of the egg looked fine. Since this happened a couple of days ago, she goes into the nesting box but hasn't laid an egg.

No roosters around, so this was definitely an unfertilized egg.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on what caused the bloody streak and whether I should be concerned about her.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Just had a similar issue. When I cracked the egg- it looked like cherry juice, instead of egg whites. None of my girls appear ill. Can't tell if same chicken is laying or not. When I posted this, someone else replied that he had an older hen, that laid bloody eggs. I am just praying that none of my customers find one- it was a bit shocking!

3. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I had a duck egg like this once. I've seen blood spots in eggs but this was HUGE. I only saw it that once though, and my eggs have been just fine ever since.

4. GardenGnome

GardenGnome Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Oley, PA
    To follow up, this was evidently a one-time problem. Haven't seen it happen since.

5. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by