Bloody Egg & Embryo

mamawatson12

Hatching
Oct 7, 2023
Hi! I am new to chickens and have 17 hens and 1 rooster (born in March). I’ve noticed several bloody eggs (in the egg once it’s cracked to cook - and least a tablespoon of blood, not just a small blood spot). Today I cracked one and saw blood so I went to put it in the sink and noticed it was a small embryo inside! We collect eggs every day so this was 2 weeks at max (that I know of). Is this normal? we’ve been sharing eggs with friends and now I’m worried we’ve been giving them extremely bloody eggs or dead chicks. 🥴 is there anything I can do?

Today I cracked one and saw blood so I went to put it in the sink and noticed it was a small embryo inside!
@mamawatson12 Got pics?
Good to take pics of weird things to get answers.

We collect eggs every day so this was 2 weeks at max (that I know of). Is this normal?
Not possible unless you gather eggs daily and keep them somewhere that about 100°F.

Thanks! This is what several eggs look like. Is this normal? Fine to eat? I’ve searched “blood in eggs” but none look like this photo.

Attachments

• E7EC5FED-CDD7-4F70-A589-2C7C1F6B5FE1.jpeg
    E7EC5FED-CDD7-4F70-A589-2C7C1F6B5FE1.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 9
Thanks! This is what several eggs look like. Is this normal? Fine to eat? I’ve searched “blood in eggs” but none look like this photo.
That does indeed look like a developing embryo, probably 2-3 days along.
Which means the egg was in temps of ~100°F for those 2-3 days.
Gather egg daily and store them in lower temps(less than 90°F).

Back
Top Bottom