Blood On Feather Around Opening

outlawfarmer

Songster
12 Years
Mar 27, 2010
New Hampshire
got an egg with some blood on it a few days ago, no big woop.
then yesterday say dried blood on orp feather around vent area.
now went out as heard chicken crowing and found her with fresh blood around that area.
Not sure if she just passed another egg (I dont see any), but fresh bleeding.
No roosters in my yard so thats not it.

52344_bufforpblood.jpg

Last edited:
she needs to be separated from the others ASAP. Clean her up with some warm water. check to see if she has a prolaspe popping out, if so clean area with warm water, put prep. H or honey on the tissue, this helps with inflamation, with a clean finger/gloved gently psuh it back in, may try to come out again, try gently again, keep her from laying for a while until she heals. If no prolaspe is seen check to see if she has an egg stuck in her, give her a warm bath, could put her on a warm heating pad also, helps to relax pelvic muscles to move the egg, also you gac lub her vent if she is egg bound. good luck

OMG I never thought I'd be doing this when I started this adventure!!! But thanks I will do that first thing in the a.m. The birds and I are all bedded down for the night.

If the other chooks see this blood they can actually kill her, it's very important that you get her out of there I'd go now while they are all asleep, put her in a box, or dog crate where she can have some quiet, and if there is nothing hanging out of her vent wait till morning to clean her up but if she has prolapsed you'll need to keep the tissue from drying out.

52344_buffopr24x6.jpg

Yup I just checked the other pics and it definately just matted blood on feathers. So if it is prolapsed it isnt out much. I once so a prolapsed embilicle cord hanging out of a pregnant teenager and being a city kid, this scares me more. I think it just looks bad as blood is matted like hair on a head wood looks.

She be fine once you get her inside but chickens are drawn to blood and will kill if given the chance.. just clean her up good tomorrow and make sure all the blood is off before putting her back with the flock if she does have a small prolapse put something like neosporin or vaseline, prep H to keep it from drying out, she is a very pretty hen.. you'll be fine too.

Well sadly you were correct. It was out 2.5" - 3 full inches and infected and dirt filled and scabbed up in part. She must have been like that for days. I tried soaking her and lots of dirt came off. Then I could see how bad the gray dead skin was over most of the opening. Thinking she would die a slow death from infection even if I got it back inside I decided to do the right thing. I hope it was the right thing. Given we leave the state for 2 weeks in 2 days and the 14 year old nieghbor was gonna have to care for her... I think she was a gonna die of infection. So sad to say I just killed my first chicken. Luckily the kids arent home yet.
sad.png

I am so sorry this has happened, but from all you said it was the best.. she was very pretty. but that would not have been something you would have wanted a 14 yr. old to have to deal with... we learn from the things that happen so next time you will be prepared.. enjoy your trip!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom